»11

CURRENTLY LISTENING TO THE SAME ANNOYING PLAYLIST OVER AND OVER AGAIN

THE WONKY
CHAPTER 11

FIVE YEARS AGO, I HAD a heart attack... and dropped right in the middle of my backswing. ❞ Secretary Ross demonstrated by pretending he was holding a golf club. "Turned out it was the best round of my life...because after thirteen hours of surgery and a triple bypass, I found something 40 years in the Army had never taught me. Perspective."
Nava was sitting in the chair closest to Tony, which was present at the end of the table. Steve was next to her, attentively focused on the man speaking. She was swaying back in forth on the spinnable chair, like a child. Her actions were always a bit infantile, mainly because she didn't care what anybody thought. It's not like them thinking about her meant anything. That's their fault, she didn't ask for their opinion.

"The world owes the Avengers an unpayable debt," he continued further. "You have... fought for us, protected us, risked your lives. But while a great many people see you as heroes, there are some...who would prefer the word 'vigilantes'." Nava wanted to let out a groan but strained herself. This was a lecture.

"And what word would you use, Mr. Secretary?" Natasha asked.

"How about 'dangerous'? What would you call a group of US-based, enhanced individuals...who routinely ignore sovereign borders and inflict their will wherever they choose and who, frankly, seem unconcerned about what they leave behind?"

"Wait - hold up, sorry," all eyes were glued to Nava. She spun back and forth in her chair, from left to right. "That question was really long. Can you repeat it?"

"Nava-" Steve said, his parent mode kicking in. Natasha grinned ear to ear to her response.

"Sorry, I just wanted to see if this was scripted and he could do it again. Proceed."

Ross displayed a map on the big screen that had previously been behind him. He had ignored Nava's adolescent comment. "New York," he said, and the screen showed the Hulk crashing through buildings. People were screaming in fear, shots were being fired. The battle of New York was on the screen. Everybody seemed to go soft, even Nava.
"Washington D.C." She watched as ships crashed into the water, the impact and weight of the ship causing the water to envelope the people on land and drown them. He was just pointing out the bad, and rubbing it in their faces. Nava didn't like him. "Sokovia." She didn't seem to fully comprehend what was going on in this slide, but a chunk of land was rising into the air. People were running. It was very destructive. Buildings collapsed on one another, smoke drifted into the sky.
"Lagos." he finished, and Nava went cold. It was the same view she had seen a month ago; a giant hole in the middle of a building. Sirens were wailing, people were either crying or dead. She remembered it vividly. The last scene was aimed on a dead girl, and everyone seemed to look down at their laps and twiddle their thumbs.