The Truth

"My lord?"

Thranduil groaned and stirred. He was beginning to despise those words. "What new and trying news do you have for me this time, Harune?" he mumbled, opening one eye.

Harune stared with relief at his king.

Thranduil jumped awake. "What is it? Have I done something to my hair?"

"Oh no, my lord! But I am so glad I found you. For a minute I thought you might have sleepwalked off one of the many platforms between here and your chambers on your way back last night. I am so glad you decided to stay here, my lord."

"Not in my chambers? Where in Arda am I?" Thranduil sat up in alarm. His face softened as he saw Asmeril curled up on one side of him, his bruised face looking peaceful. Thranduil reached out to gently touch Asmeril's face but, as his fingers brushed the elfling's cheek, Asmeril's eyes flew open and he shrank away from Thranduil and fell out of his side of the bed with a pained cry.

Thranduil waved Harune away and walked to Asmeril's side. He knelt down and said, "It is me; Thranduil. You are safe with me. What did you think I was going to do to you?"

Asmeril licked his cracked lips nervously. "B-beat me," he whispered shakily, hiding his face in Thranduil's lap.

"I would never lay a harmful hand on you, child," Thranduil promised, running his fingers through Asmeril's dirty hair. "Who hurt you? Will you tell me who hurt you?"

"NO!"

Thranduil inwardly sighed. The name was still locked within Asmeril's tortured mind. He picked up the warm, trembling bundle and tucked him back into bed. He held a glass of water to Asmeril's lips. The elfling drank greedily.

"My lord?"

"Yes, Harune? What is it?" Thranduil did not move.

"I brought you breakfast, my lord. I will leave it for you at the foot of the bed."

"Thank you, Harune. You may go."

"Yes, my lord," said Harune. His footsteps walked away.

Thranduil set the empty water glass down ad picked up the tray of food. He was hungry but Asmeril was beyond starving.

Asmeril looked longingly at the food. Unconsciously, his hand reached for the tray. Then he whimpered and let his arm drop. He looked pleadingly at Thranduil. His pain was greater then his need for food. Maybe this kind elf would feed him. Or maybe he would  hit him and walk away.

Seeing the fear beginning to blossom in Asmeril's eyes, Thranduil crooned, "It is all right, child. I will not hurt you. Here; eat. You are very hungry. Since your pain is too great to allow you to feed yourself, I will feed you."

"Hannon le," Asmeril mumbled, wolfing down the food Thranduil fed him.

Healer Jailil came silently into the room  as Thranduil fed Asmeril the last bites of food. He paused, stretching to get the sleep out of his muscles, and studied his king. Hmm, Thranduil was still in his nightclothes and his hair was untidy. Perhaps Thranduil did care for Asmeril. He must, if he had placed Asmeril before his hair!

"My lord," said Healer Jailil, clearing his throat.

"Whatever you may think, Healer, I was just doing your job while you were absent," Thranduil said haughtily.

"Umhmm. I must admit you are getting on quite well with Asmeril. I must tend to him now, my lord."

Asmeril turned pale when he saw Healer Jailil. "No! Make him go away! I hate him! He hurts me!"