Chapter 9

I guess you expect me to be happy about the whole full scholarship thing. So, whoo hoo.

I sat at the table, drinking a glass of water and looking down at the plate full of calorie-filled food sitting in front of me. When I looked up again, Grandpa was trying to eat his eggs with the wrong side of his fork.

Caesar saw this, and carefully flipped the fork back over so it was facing the right way. Grandpa barely noticed and just continued eating his eggs. I sat back, confused. He had been fine before. He had felt better. What had happened? I looked carefully at my father, meeting his eyes. He shook his head gently and looked away, a guilty look on his face.

-----------------------------------

When I got to school it was like normal. I walked down the hallway, feeling everyone's stares and glances. "Freak," they would whisper.

I just kept my head down and continued walking to my locker. Suddenly, I was shoved hard into a wall. I didn't have to look back to know who it was. It was Garrett and his group of jocks.

"Hey, look," He called. "It's the freaky dyke." He spat. His goons laughed. I looked up, glancing across the hall. I had blood on my lip from biting down on it when Garrett pushed me.

"Heard you got a scholarship to Penn, freak." He continued. "You'll fit in there. With all the other freaks."

He smirked and starting kicking my petite figure. I coughed a little, and blood dribbled out onto the tile floor. I saw my English teacher, Ms. Nichols, poke her head out, watching the scene unfold, but just stood there. Like always.

He kicked me one last time in the back. "You're looking awfully fat- you should hope pregnant. Maybe you're pregnant with a baby from that dumb ape of yours. That'll show everyone what a freak you are." He spat on me and walked away.

I groped the lockers for support as I made my way up and stumbled down the hall. I'd learned that it was best to just not say anything to the person who hurt you.

"Are you okay?" I heard a soft voice say behind me.

I looked up to see the most beautiful girl I had ever seen. It was Emma Wilks, Garrett's ex. I glanced at her slightly freckled face, and her flowing red hair. Her blue-green eyes stared into my brown ones. She looked genuinely concerned.

I nodded. "I'm fine."

She shook her head. "No, you're not. You're bleeding. We need to take you to the nurse."

"No!" I said sternly. Maybe a little too sternly.

She flinched.

"I...No, it's fine. I'll do it myself."

She took one last glance at me and squeezed my hand. A warm buzz filled my body. Then, she walked off, leaving her vanilla and honey scent behind her.