Chapter 10

I stormed into the house, throwing my book bag on a hook before running upstairs. When I got to my room, my dad was standing there, a paper in his hand.

It was the scholarship letter from Penn.

He looked up at me, slight tears of joy in his eyes. "Why didn't you say anything?"

I shrugged and took out my phone, scrolling through it. "Not that exciting."

"It is exciting! You got a scholarship to one of the best colleges in America!" He cried.

I rolled my eyes. "It's not a big deal,"

He sat next to me, not as happy anymore. "Why don't you want to go?" He asked softly.

"I do, I just...I don't know."

He studied my face. "Have you been taking your pills?"

"God, yes!" I lied. "Why can't I act a certain way without being crazy, for once?!"

He surrendered, and held another envelope out. I ripped it open. I skimmed over it quickly.

We would like to offer you a full scholarship for all four years of your college career.

I sat there, my face blank.

We are pleased to prepare to welcome you to the Harvard University community.

I set the paper down, taking a deep breath, and taking my face in my hands. I groaned.

"Here," Dad said, handing me yet another envelope.

We are very excited to welcome you to the University of North Carolina Charlotte community.

As my dad left the room, I laid back. My phone dinged. I picked it up, checking it.

One new text.

415-785-2641- How are you doing??

I rubbed my eyes and responded.

Who is this?

They replied almost immediately.

Emma. Now answer the question

I added her contact and replied,

Fine

She replied back,

Good. Okay?

I breathed out.

Okay.

Then, Caesar burst into my room. I looked up, startled. "You're going?" He signed, pouting.

Someone had been eavesdropping. I pulled him into my bed, cuddling him. "I have to go, Caesar," I hummed.

He looked up at me. "Why?" He signed. "Stay." I sighed, stroking his head and back gently. He leaned into my touch.

"It's for the best, Caesar."