Chapter 15

For the record, I do not know much about how viruses and antivirals work even with research, so please don't try to correct me if you're familiar with the subject. This is just a story, and besides it is in the future, so I can shape this disease however I want. ;)

TOBIAS POV

"What do we know about this disease?" I ask Caleb, holding back any signs of pain as I walk next to him down a hospital hallway. My body is bruised and broken, protesting my every movement and begging for me to take a break and lie down.

But right now, there is a possible epidemic; it is my job as a leader to get this figured out.

"Right now, we only know the symptoms," he tells me, tapping on the tablet in his hand. We turn a corner so that we stand outside the quarantine zone. "I've been recording them. It starts out with a rash every single time, that is for sure. The rash is accompanied by a fever and aching. The later side effects are the frightening part."

I hesitate. "What are they?"

"Heavy bleeding, starting in the nose and progressing from there. Then it's mouth, ears, eyes... But that's not it. There are brain disorders such as hallucinations, confusion, hearing impairment, eyesight impairment, speech impairment, personality shifts, and extreme paranoia. This causes the victim to act out and in many cases become violent. It all continues until the victim's organs collapse and they die. Some die faster than others."

I try to mask the fear that travels through my body in the form of a shiver. This virus is a living hell, and I feel selfish when I briefly worry about getting it when people are already dying of it.

Hopefully, the quarantine will be beneficial.

"How many people are in there?" I inquire, tipping my head toward the set of doors we are standing outside. I don't dare to peek inside because I will see the quarantine soon enough, although it is certainly not something I want to observe.

Caleb straightens his glasses on his face, no longer needing to look down at the tablet. "Not counting the twenty that have already died, fifty."

"Fifty?!" I exclaim. That can't be correct. The numbers are outrageous; just yesterday only three people were dead and ten others had it.

He nods, the creases in his forehead making him look older. "About half are Factionless, and the rest are mixed, except no Dauntless have been hospitalized so far."

It makes sense. The Factionless travel from faction to faction, so it was only logical to plant the virus on them. Now it has spread quickly throughout the city.

I never thought I would be glad that most of the Dauntless were away from the city and in war, but it sounds like they are much safer out there as of now. At least there they have a fighting chance.

Approaching footsteps gain my attention. I turn my head to see the main faction leaders walking toward us with uneasy expressions.

"That'll be all for now, Caleb," I dismiss. "Come back when you have news from the labs."

By the time Caleb retreats out of the hallway, the leaders have made it to me. Their eyes immediately land on my bandaged hand, which almost gets me to laugh at how noticeable my missing finger already is despite being covered. It takes me only a second to realize that someone is missing from the group, with Andrew Prior as his replacement.