Chapter 19

TRIS POV

A train hurtles toward the station, its horn blaring to signal its approach and its lights illuminating the tracks in front of it. When it gets almost to the point that I think it is going to pass, it gradually slows to a stop. Crouching between two unoccupied train cars, I watch the unmoving train, waiting for my opportunity.

The train station was a day's walk away, although I did jog at times. The people back at the camp are running out of time, so quickly that I would have run the whole way if I could. Sometimes I wish my legs were longer so that I could cover more ground.

Judging by all the gray uniforms, the workers loading the train are Enslavers, or already enslaved. I get my answer when I see armed guards prodding them around. These people are prisoners, like I used to be. From what I can gather, they are packing the train with food and water. Perfect, I haven't had a meal since last night, and I certainly haven't had any water.

My plan is to jump on the train, if possible. Since it is dark and the last thing they are expecting is for someone to infiltrate their station and jump on their train, I figure that I will make it on alive.

Not only are the Abnegation in the forest depending on me, but once I get to Chicago, I will finally be reunited with Tobias. I have to make it on that train.

Clutching the rifle just in case I am discovered, I almost panic again. I don't want to hold this gun anymore, not after Stacy, but I'm not going to be an idiot and ditch it. Right now I need to focus on my goals, and thinking about my first kill—or maybe my second, because Rose's death must be my fault—will not be beneficial.

There will be a time to grieve and feel guilt over every person I've lost or gotten killed, but it is not now.

"Hurry up!" a guard snaps.

The workers rush to finish up their job of loading the train. Then a soldier steps up to press his hand to some sort of scanner, which has a robotic voice that says, "Divergent." The door of the train car slides shut.

As soon as they all head back to the station on the other side of the train, the horn sounds again, meaning that the vehicle is about to depart. Sure enough, it begins inching forward, and that is when I start running.

Swinging my rifle over my shoulder and checking the areas between the tracks on both sides, I run across to the train. Nobody seems to take notice, but I speed up anyways and sprint alongside it.

It is almost going too fast, so I take my opportunity and grab onto a metal bar hanging off one of the cars. The action comes naturally to me, which makes no sense. Yanking myself up onto a ledge on the side of the train, I panic because this train is gaining speed too quickly. I am going to fly off if I don't get inside soon, especially because of the heavy wind.

Reaching for the scanner, I gasp when I almost fall. My petiteness really has not come in handy lately. Groaning, I stretch out and keep one foot planted while the other hangs in the air. While I hold onto the bar with my fingertips, I am able to press my hand to the scanner. It lights up blue, and when I think it is over, it pricks my palm. It startles me to much that I jump and immediately remove my hand to clutch at the handle with both hands.

Eventually the scanner says, "Divergent," and the car door slides open.

I throw myself inside, landing in a heap on the floor and rolling onto my stomach when the gun digs into my back. When I regain my composure and catch my breath, I stand and pull as hard as I can on the door so that it will slide shut.

An intercom beeps on the train, and I freeze.

"Train number 11528, be advised, there is a possible—"