Chapter 7: Spying on the Dead

The Prophet stands in Lilith's hut, stretching his limbs. It was so early in the morning that he had a hard time staying awake. Lilith was busy, going over her plans once more. Really, Lilith was the mastermind behind everything. Andy would just bring on the brute force; his presence was still vital to the mission.

"Are you ready, Prophet?" calls Lilith, appearing in his presence.

"I could ask the same of you, councilwoman."

She hands him a cloak of black, fitted for Andy's height. He slips it on, and it makes him look like a member of the inside--of the Temple. He fits his weapons inside his cloak, concealing them as best as he could. The plan was simple: get in, help the mortal Eve, and get out.

"Are your forces ready for the battle to take place later this morning?"

"I plan of it," he answers, pulling the hood over his face, hiding himself from her.

She sighs, grabbing her weapons of choice: two small daggers. It was just for self-defense. She was never the fighting type.

They set off, and Jophiel begins to console The Prophet, calming him in his time of stressful thoughts.

"Calm yourself. Do not be obscene. The real battle takes place later: remember that."

Andy feels a large and heavy weight come off his chest at these words. He was content; he was beginning to feel peace, for once.

"Over here," beckons the councilwoman.

Andy keeps close behind her. "What is it?" he whispers.

They stand together on the outside of the village of Golgotha. The Temple was a mere 1,000-foot walk away. "There are soldiers: guards. Do you remember the plan?"

Andy nods, tugging on his hood, praying to the gods that it will stay in place. "I do. Let's walk."

Lilith grabs Andy's hands forcefully. She binds them with rope, and ties a loose, mediocre knot. She leads him.

They cross the small piece of desert connecting the Temple to Golgotha. The walk is short, considering they walk as fast as they can without making it seem as though they were mysterious.

"Who goes there?" yells one of the guards, raising his staff to a striking position.

Lilith removes her hood, revealing herself to her brethren. "I wish to get clearance."

A guard gasps. "Councilwoman Lilith." He takes a moment to assess this. "Why are you here so early? And who is the man accompanying you?"

Lilith walks to Andy, forcefully removing his hood. He is revealed to the soldiers: The Prophet. He was the most wanted man in the afterlife. "This is why."

"How did you find him? How did you capture him?"

She lies. "He was caught snooping in Golgotha. He was outside of my household, and a few citizens captured him. We are lucky he did not hurt or kill any council members or the High Priest. I offered to take him to the Temple to be kept in the dungeons."

The soldier laughs, grinning. "Oh, yes. The Prophet is going to be taught a lesson."

Andy looks down to the desert floor, pretending to feel weak and deserted.

"You have clearance, Lilith," announces another guard, opening the door for the two to pass.

As the door closes behind them, Lilith eyes Andy to make sure he is okay. She links arms with him, tugging on his hood to make sure no one recognizes him.