Chapter 1: The Little Red Book

Our story begins in the aboveground, the place where faries and goblins are nothing but part of children's stories. The place where children usually are the ones to play make-believe.

But this girl was different. This was a girl of about sixteen, a girl who seemed to never want to really grow up. This girl's name was Sarah Williams. Her beautiful dark brown hair went to the middle of her back. She wore a renaissance dress with a little red book in her hand, a flower crown with long strands of ribbon was upon her head.

Sarah was in a wide open space of grass, all by herself, reading the little red book. She walked in the grass, a owl swooping in and purching itself on a stone monument.

"Give me the child..." She started to recite.
"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here, to the castle beyond the Goblin City. For my will is as strong, and my kingdom is as great!"

She then stopped, unable to remember what words happened next. Sarah tried, but she had to look up the words once again, "You have no power over me..." she finally said, still annoyed that she can't remember these simple words.

The words she recited were from the little red book, called Labyrinth.

Suddenly the giant clock in the town rang. Sarah was late to babysit her little step brother.

"Oh no! Come on Merlin, we are late!" She said as she picked up her skirt of her dress, revealing her blue jeans underneath and started running.

As if by magic, the rain started pouring in the town, while Sarah ran to her house.

Once she arrived at the house, her step mother was on the porch. She wore a disapproving look on her face. She looked at Sarah and tapped her foot. Merlin was all wet and Sarah was soaked.

"You're late. You better get inside." Was all Sarah's Step Mother said as Sarah was about to take Merlin in.

"The dog stays in the garage."

"But why?! He is cold and wet just like me."

"He is not getting my house all wet. He goes into the garage."

"Fine. Merlin go into the garage." She said as she lead him into the garage. Once she came in, she ran up the stairs. Her parents talking but she wasn't paying attention at all.

She argued with her Step Mother about how she has to watch Toby. Once Sarah got out of her wet clothes, she sat down at her vanity.

Pictures of a woman and an actor together, just newspaper clippings around the frame of the mirror. Her mother, her real mother... oh she missed her so.

Sarah then looked at herself in the mirror, lipstick in her hand as she drew the red pigment on her lips.

"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered. I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City. For my will is as strong as yours..."

Suddenly, Sarah heard her dad yelling that he and his wife were going to dinner.

This made Sarah a little steamed. She always would get stuck watching Toby...

"You really wanted to talk to me, didn't you?" She yelled at her mirror as she rubbed off her lipstick.

"Practically broke down the door!" She said as she threw herself on her bed, pouting. She then looked on her stuffed animal shelf, she saw her stuffed bear was missing. Her Sir Lancelot.

"Who took Lancelot?! Who has been in my room?!" She said as she stomped into Toby's room. Toby was screaming his head off as Sarah took her bear.

She tried to run back to her room, but her better judgement overtook her rage and she went to Toby. She picked up her screaming step brother and tried to call him.

"Oh, come on, Toby..." She said as she rocked him back and forth. Nothing was working. She then set him back in his crib and she started thinking of things she could do to stop his annoying cries.

Then she got an idea. Scare him so he would stop crying.

"Toby, want to hear about the Goblin King?" But he just kept crying.

"Once upon a time, there was a girl who worked so hard she was practically a slave. Every night the girl would be forced to watch a child. The child would cry and carry on, until the girl could not take it any longer!" Sarah said as Toby kept crying.

" 'Say your right words' the goblins said, 'and the child will be taken and you will be free'. "

The wind started to pick up outside, the branches near the window cracked. The screams of Toby filled the room as Sarah said the words with Toby in her arms.

"Goblin King, Goblin King! Take this child far away from me!" She yelled and Toby kept crying, tears streaming down his face.

"Oh, why don't you stop crying..." Sarah said as she set Toby down in his crib and tucked him in.

"I wish the Goblins would take you away right now..." She said as she turned off the light and closed the door.

The room was quiet. She did not hear Toby's cries. She did not even hear the wind outside. She opened the door and tried to turn on the light.

The light did not work...

She dismissed it as a blown bulb and started walking towards Toby's crib.

A thumping sound came from the door as bird kept trying to come in.

As Sarah inched closer she saw small, quick movements under the blanket. Once she pulled the blanket away, it revealed that there was no baby in the crib!

Suddenly, the doors burst open, a tornado of glitter engulfing the room and Sarah.

The owl flew in, scaring Sarah, and eventually morphed into a man.

"You... you can't be... are you the Goblin King?"