Chapter 11: The Importance of That Little Red Book

Roselea flew to what was known as the garbage heap. She knew that this was where some runners ended up. This was an even more cruel fate than the Obliette. You at least had your memories unlike the crystal ball trap. All its victims had the same fate, they would never remember why they came and when time was up they were given a choice, then they disappear back to their world. The child becomes a goblin and the runner is gone.

Roselea wanted to get rid of Sarah and Toby, so she had to help Sarah win. That was the only way. Then Sarah would be gone out of their lives forever and then things can finally get back to normal. Roselea didn't want her Father to fall in love with the girl. She knew how much each runner who caught his eye would always turn him away.

The princess knew that Toby was a different baby, that he wouldn't be turned into a goblin like the rest. The Fae girl couldn't stand for an actual human baby taking her place as her Father's favorite.

She had to help Sarah win.

Roselea came to the trash heap that was constructed to look like Sarah's room. She smiled at all the cute things in it. She especially loved the music box. That dress was so beautiful on Sarah. The song was beautiful too. She sighed and then took the book out of her satchel and placed it in the drawer.

Jareth didn't want that book to be in that room. That would trigger memories and possibly give Sarah her memories of Toby. Roselea knew the power of this little red book. So many girls read this book and then they get the bright idea to wish away their siblings.

A cruel book.

One that taught a cruel lesson.

She then looked around one last time before she tried to make her escape. Suddenly, the door was opening and Roselea hid. She was in Sarah's closet watching Sarah be entranced by belongings.

Jareth assumed that most girls were materialistic. That's why the trash ladies even existed in this world, they love their stuff.

This scared Roselea a bit because she was a girl.Was she materialistic?

She would sometimes see these girls almost become the new trash ladies until she started freaking out and crying to her Father to let them go.

Roselea only ever wanted the girls to learn the lesson. You should always be grateful for what you have, especially your siblings. She didn't want to bring harm to any of the runners. She watched them and made sure they did learn their lesson well. That was the purpose of the runners being here. They are suppose to be grateful for their siblings, not be some childish brat. Roselea knew this and she would always make sure they learned from their mistakes.

You could say that Roselea was the score keeper of sorts. She would watch the runners and make sure they stayed on their path. If they had a slip up, she would watch how her father reacted and make sure the punishment fit the crime. Even though Roselea was young, she had the job of making sure the runners learned.

Suddenly, Roselea heard someone open the door in this made up room. She had to hide somewhere. She swiftly ran into the closet and opened up one the flaps to peek into the room.

She watched Sarah walk into the room. Sarah was relieved to see her nice comfy bed and her toys all in their respective spots. Sarah was happy to be "home".

Roselea watched on, feeling terrible that Sarah believes that she is really in her real room. A knot formed in Roselea's stomach as she watches Sarah who is overjoyed that she is "home".  She wasn't home, she was in a trash heap that was several meters aways from the entrance to the Goblin City.

Roselea hated to see Sarah like this. She didn't know what was real. Roselea almost opened the door of the closet to tell Sarah she had to get out of here but as soon as she was about to do that the trash lady came in.

Roselea stayed perfectly hidden in the closet as the trash lady came in and talked to Sarah, trying to sweet talk her about her love of her things. The trash lady sat Sarah down at her vanity and started to pile some random things from Sarah's room on her back. Sarah was perfectly content with looking at herself in the mirror and using the lipstick from her vanity. It was as if she was still in a daze from that peach dream.

Roselea wanted to burst out and help Sarah because she knew what would happen if the trash lady kept piling on those belongings. Sarah may be stuck in The Labyrinth forever.

Roselea held onto hope that Sarah would find the little red book and free herself from this mess.

As Sarah looked around her desk she noticed her drawer than had the little red book inside and she opened it. She began to read from the little red book.

"Through dangers untold and hardships unnumbered, I have fought my way here to the castle beyond the Goblin City to take back the child that at you have stolen..."

The trash lady looked at her funny. She wasn't sure what Sarah was even talking about. Roselea looked from the closet, smiling that she found the book.

"Remember Sarah! Remember Toby!" She whispered. "Remember the Labyrinth! You don't have much time!"

And as if by command Sarah remembered everything.

"I have to get Toby!"

The room they were in was starting to crumble. Roselea and Sarah had to get out of here quick! Just then Roselea turned into an owl and helped Sarah up out of there a little bit. Sarah's other friends heard her cries as she tried to climb out of the hole. Roselea helped up Sarah and then as soon as Sarah was free, Roselea headed toward the Castle.

When Roselea landed, Jareth gave Toby to a goblin and went over to her.

"My little rose, where did you go? I've been looking all over for you!" Jareth said as he looked at his daughter.

"I went to check on the runner. Making sure the trash ladies didn't screw up the room that was made for her..."

"Roselea, I know very well that when a runner is sent to the trash ladies, you usually beg me to show them mercy. You didn't interfere with their work, did you?"

"No, not at all. I just went into her room and then saw that everything was to your specifications, Father. You wanted to make sure she couldn't remember a thing and think all this was a dream." Roselea said, lying to her Father once again. She hated lying to him, but she had to or he would disown her...

Jareth looks at his daughter, trying to figure out if she was hiding something but Roselea learned from the best to keep a very convincing face. She was Jareth's daughter after all. She had to be cunning just like he was.

"My little Rose, you know what happens if you lied, right?"

"Of course, Father. But I would never lie to you. That would be foolish. A princess committing treason towards her own kingdom? That seems quite silly. You know me better than that." Roselea said as she looked at her father straight in the eyes. His mismatched eyes looking to find the hint of a lie. She doesn't let him see if she is lying, she knows how to be quite convincing.

He looked upon his daughter, hoping she hasn't been lying to him. Then he thought, "why would she help a runner? She never wants the runner to win. She has to be telling the truth... she would never break her father's heart." He then walked up to Roselea and gave her a hug.

"I'm sorry that I accused you of lying. I know very well that you would never lie to me. You love me too much to break my heart." Jareth said as his daughter hugged him tightly.

"I would never break your heart, father. I promise you that. You are everything to me." Roselea said as she hugged her father, a pit forming in her stomach as she lies even further.

She was doing a good thing. She had to do this. For him.