chapter twenty one

Alina walked along the sidewalk, holding Debras harness,enjoying her early stroll to work. It was a warm morning with only a light breeze, although it was supposed to rain later on. Alina liked mornings like this. They cheered her up.

When she woke up Noah was not home. He had texted her though. Saying that he would be super busy all day and that she had to come tonight. Or else. Alina had laughed. Even though the prospect of Noah being absent for a whole day seemed bleak, she wasn't worried. She was beyond happy at this point.

There was however a small part of her that held back. They hadn't gotten the chance to talk about their situation and Alina couldn't help but worry a little  that he would dismiss last night, pretend like it never happened. She quickly got rid of that thought. Today she was only going to be happy.

So the morning went by smoothly. It was a busy day at work and the shop was full of life. Alina didn't manage to take a single break. But she was glad to have something she could distract herself with. Thinking about tonight only managed to make her even more nervous than she already was. The hours passed easily. Mrs Jenkins was closing the store earlier today because she had an appointment with the vet for her pet turtle. She called her Gladys. Alina had burst out laughing when she'd told her.

"So, are you going tonight? To Noah's exhibition?" Mrs Jenkins asked while they were locking up the shop. Alina frowned.

"How did you know about the exhibition?"  Mrs Jenkins smiled.

"Oh, he invited me. Said he'd be more than happy to see me there."

"Really?" Alina asked uncertainly.

"Yes. Although you'll have to pass him my apologies."

"You can't go?"

Mrs Jenkins nodded.

"My grandkids are coming over later." She explained. Alina smiled.

"I'll let him know." She said as they started walking along the pavement.

"Thank you Alina." Mrs Jenkins said and then grinned. "So, are you nervous about tonight?"

Alina shrugged smiling.

"A little bit, yes."she admitted making Mrs Jenkins giggle.

"That's youth for you." She said lightly. "Don't worry though dear, all will go well. I'm certain."

Alina smiled gratefully.

"I really hope you're right."

-----

It was 6:42 pm when Alina heard the buzz. She and Stella had agreed to get ready together and meet the others later. Stella would drive them there.

Alina walked to the door and opened it.

"Took you long enough." She said and Stella rolled her eyes coming inside.

"Hello to you too." She said. "Emerson's here."

Alina raised an eyebrow amused.

"You don't say?"

Stella gave her a look but she was smiling.

"Hello Alina." Emerson said. His voice sounded different today. It was lighter, more relaxed. He sounded happy. She smiled.

"Hello Emerson." She said. "Are you staying with us or...?"

He shook his head.

"No I was just dropping off Stella. I gotta head back. Noah's gonna kill me if I'm late."