Chapter eight

Life went on in ForestClan. The she-cats ate, slept, and were picked as mates. Goldenkit and Branchkit became queen apprentices. They were now know as Goldenpaw and Branchpaw. Goldenpaw was my apprentice and Branchpaw was apprenticed to Honeyleaf. Ebonyclaw and Bubblewish both were expecting. Mudpaw, my sweet Mudpaw, became Mudbelly, and Ashpaw, Ashfall. It was currently sun-high, and most of the toms were out. Icepaw was walking up to Silverstar. Ashfall watching closely.
"Hey Silverstar?" She meowed. He turned to look at her.
"What is it?" He asked impatiently.
"I was wondering if you'd give me my queen name, Ashfall and I are mates," she meowed hesitantly.
"Hm, let me think. Did you ask me if you could be mates? No. So, I'd say no, and as punishment, Ashfall will be killed," he said. What? That's my brother! His punishments are way to harsh!
I was about to get up and defend my brother when Icepaw did something unexpected.
"Please don't hurt him! I'd do anything if you'd let him live!" She pleaded. Silverstar looked thoughtful.
"Alright, I won't hurt him, but you must bare me three litters before you can be mates with him, and you must bring me food, and groom me, for that time period. I see now that you are strong willed, you will produce good offspring," he meowed smugly. Icepaw looked relieved, but also sad. She looked mournfully at my brother, her eyes watering. She nods to Silverstar, agreeing with him. They pad off to his den, Icepaw grabbing a rabbit on the way.
I pad over to my true mate, Mudbelly.
"I'm glad that isn't us," he meows, relief in his voice. I nod. We stare at each other for a while.
"Want to eat?" He meows.
"Sure, I'm pretty hungry," I reply. We settle down in the shade, each taking turns to take a bite. As we eat I feel my stomach twist, little tiny movements. This can only mean one thing. Kits! I don't want tell Mudbelly. What if I'm wrong. I just smile. My instincts tell me other wise.
After our meal Silverstar calls me to his den.
"Yes?" I meow once I'm in.
"Every night I'm going to invite a queen into my den to get to know them. After all, I want to know my mates," he meows. "I understand that you were in prisoned as a kit," he adds.
"Yes," I meow, thinking to myself, yeah, nothing like this!
"Come sit by me," he meows, patting the ground beside him. I pad over, laying down. We talk for a while, he doesn't seem any less terrible though. I fall asleep after what seemed like ages, we had talked till dark. I dream of my future kits, making me sleep peacefully.