Chapter five

I woke up in the medicine cat den, cobwebs plastered to my stomach with a poultice. It was late in the evening. There was a fresh mouse lying beside me. I gobbled it up, my stomach growling for more.
"I thought you might be hungry," a gentle voice say. I turn to look. Mudpaw! What does he want?
"I wanted to apologize for my brother. What he did was wrong. I never wanted to hurt you. I swear," his eyes are filled with warmth and affection.
   "I know we got off on a bad foot, but I'm hopping that can change," he pauses. "Do you want to be my mate?" He turns his head, his ears lowered in embarrassment. He never did hurt me. It was always Antpaw.
   "Yes, I'd love to," I reply, my voice soft. He looks at me, his eyes gentle with love and excitement. I get up, my wounds sting, but not as bad as before. I start to lick his cheek, then muzzle him.
   "Let's get some food, and yes I'm strong enough to go there," I say. As we pad out Silverpool rushes in.
"Fawnstar is dead!" He yowls. "A fox killed her! I fought it off," he said mournfully. There was something in his eyes that sent shivers down my spine. His eyes glowed, you could see the faint traces of blood on his lips.
"StarClan will visit me tonight. Tomorrow, I will be Silverstar," he said, menace creeping into his words. He padded off to his den. I guess I should sleep to. Even though I slept a lot, it would heal my wounds faster.
   "I'm going to go back to bed, it'll heal me sooner," I said.
   "Ok, I should too. Goodnight my love," he says, licking the top of my head. Then he pads off to the apprentices den, and I follow his lead, but go back to the medicine cats den. I flop down, soon falling asleep.