Chapter fourteen

One moon later

    Goldenray abruptly lays down in her nest. I see a ripple pass through her body. Her kits are coming! I rush over to her.
   "Here," I give her some raspberry leaves. She licks them up. She wails as a ripple passes through her. This kitting is worse than mine, by far! I give her a stick to bite on. She bites down on it. I can hear it crackle as she bites it harder as a ripple passes. I press her stomach gently. Come on little kit!
   "Come on! You can do it! Push harder!" I meow encouragingly. She bites on her stick as she pushes when a ripple comes. Her stick breaks, the snap echoes through the den. I see a little head. I press firmly. She pushes as a ripple appears. She wails again. This is obviously more painful than mine. Poor thing!
   She wails as a little bundle slides into the moss. I quickly nip the sack of skin surrounding it. It mews pitifully. A little golden tom! I lick its eyes, mouth, and nose, and push it to its mother's belly.
   My attention snaps to Goldenray as she wails. The ripples pass faster than at first. A head pokes out.
   "Come on! Only a few more pushes then it's out!" I meow, pushing harder on her stomach. She wails as she pushes with the ripple. Another ripple, and another ripple pass. The kit still isn't coming! I grab the head gently in my mouth.
   "Push as a ripple passes. Even harder this time," I manage to tell her as the kits small head is still in my mouth. The ripple comes quickly. I just barely manage to pull the kit out as she pushes. Since the sack was already nipped, I just lick its nose, eyes, and mouth. It mewls as I push it to her stomach, quickly suckling.
   She wails as a head pokes it head out. I grab it, pulling as she pushes.
   "One more!" I meow after feeling her belly, and taking care of the kit. The last one comes easier than the others since it is smaller. No help is needed from me as it plops into the moss. I nip its sack and clean it. It manages to crawl to the scent of milk. Suckling as soon as it reaches its mother. I examine the kits.
   "Three she-kits and a tom," I meow happily. Goldenray purrs to her kits, love filling her eyes as she looks at them.
   "You can start training again in a few days. As soon as you have regained your strength," I meow. "Now I need to go train with the others. Why don't you name the kits," I suggest as I walk off. I hear her meow the names as I enter the training den.
   "Sweetkit, Applekit, Blossomkit, and Sunkit..."