Chapter 23

CHAPTER XXIII

“Thank you nga pala ha” I told Derek while we were having lunch the day after my emo incident.

Derek was a newly transferred student from another school. Although he was from another school, he was also new here in the Philippines. He just came from America last year and it was his first time back the country after so long. I was kind of lucky that we almost have the same classes. Without Mikita, at least I have someone to talk to now.

“Para san?” he asked.

“Alam mo na yun” I insisted.

“Para san nga? Sa papel kanina sa Lit? Oo, alam kong namumulubi ka na sa papel kaya binigyan na kita. Pero may bayad yun. One kiss for every sheet of paper” he winked.

“Sira! Yung kahapon. Sa may field. Sa may bleachers nga” I said quietly.

“Wala yun. Ang drama mo kasi. Syempre, knight in shining armor ako sa mga babae, hindi pwede na hindi kita tulungan. What would my fans say?” he boasted.

“Adik to! Kumain ka na nga!” I lightly slapped his arm.

Derek and I have been inseparable since yesterday. I don’t know, he just…gets me. He just feels so familiar that I find his presence comfortable, which is very unlike me. You know me, I am very anti-social.

“Wow, Annie. I didn’t see you as a slut before. I wonder how you do it” It was Megan, obviously. She actually went to our table just to mess with me. What is up with her?

“I’m tired, Megan” I finally said. She was leaning down on me so my usual “not talking back” technique wouldn’t work.

“First it was Evan Clarke. And then there was Ryu Yamamoto. And now, Derek Mijares. What is it with you and half-bloods? Or maybe it’s because they are new here, they want a taste of something exotic? Right, girls?” Her mean girl barkada laughed alongside with her.

Clang

It was Derek’s utensils. He was standing, glaring at Megan and her friends. They were probably scared, they scattered away immediately. I was holding Derek’s hand, stopping him from whatever he was planning on doing.

“Derek…” I pleaded.

“Ikaw na sikat, Annie” he calmed and sat down again.

“Ha? Ano ibig mong sabihin?”

“Dami mo palang admirers? Hindi ko alam, in na in pala dito sa Pinas ang goth” he said.

“Sira! Hindi ako goth or emo! Mahilig lang talaga ako sa black, adik!” I defended myself.

“Yun nga yun. Goth. Emo. Search mo sa Urbandictionary eh yun nga yung meaning nun. A person who likes wearing black clothing and listen to emotional songs and go all emotional” he teased.

“Naku diyan ka na nga!” I stood up, took my things and started to walk away.

“Ikaw naman, ngjojoke lang eh ang seryoso mo” he said, following me immediately.

“Tsk”

We continued walking silently. Let me rephrase that. I continued walking silently while Derek was following me like a dog. I knew he was at my back following me even though I can’t see for sure because girls (and boys) were gawking. Who wouldn’t? Derek was attractive. He was tall, muscular and very good looking. Thanks to his American father, of course.

Derek is also quite funny, which is probably why he’s popular with the ladies. Yesterday before going home, there were girls following us in the hallway. There was even one girl, she’s probably a Sophomore, that actually asked for his number!

“Hoy, Annie. Teka nga lang. Kanina mo pa ako hindi pinapansin eh” he stopped me by holding my hand.

“Huwag mo nga ako hawakan. Ano ba kasi kelangan mo?” I was trying to take my hand away but he was holding it firmly. “Hoy, Derek. Hoy! Hello?” He wasn’t looking at me anymore. He was concentrated on looking at someone behind me. I turned around and wished I hadn’t. It was Evan. With Oriana.

They were walking. Evan was looking straight with no emotions while Oriana was holding his arm on his side, clearly happy with what was happening. They walked and walked until they passed us. They didn’t see us. He didn’t see me. It was as if I’m invisible. I held on Derek’s hand tighter.

“C’mon, Annie” he pulled me away. I just let him.

I didn’t even notice we were back in the bleachers. Just like yesterday.

“Annie, tama na nga” he said.

I didn’t look at him. I just looked at the field, observing the people around.

“Annie, pag hindi ka tumigil, hahalikan na kita” he challenged me.

“Sira ka talaga kahit kelan!” I pushed him away, smiling now.

“It’s not like I haven’t done that before” he whispered.

I pretended not to hear what he said so we continued gazing and observing people around us the whole afternoon. This is what I deserve, a quiet and uncomplicated relationship with people.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, what do you guys think of Derek? Kaintriga noh? Update coming right up!