Chapter 35

CHAPTER XXXV

Atleast give that a chance

Those words have stuck with me for hours now. Taunting me. I couldn’t sleep.

I looked at my wall clock and it read 8 minutes past 11 in the evening. I have exams tomorrow, damnit!

I continued staring at it.

11:09

Sleep, please come and visit me already!

11:10

Okay I think I’m getting there.

11:11

I slowly closed my eyes.

RIIING RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIING

Wait, that’s my phone. Ugh! Who would call at this hour?! I didn’t even bother to check who the caller was. I just answered it.

“What?!” I said, clearly annoyed.

“It is 11 minutes past 11 in the evening. For the past few years, I have always asked for one thing. But today, I asked for something different. I asked for you”

I didn’t answer him. I was too stunned to talk. I knew that voice.

“I wish I was brave enough to tell you this in person. I wish I had the guts to tell you how I felt. I wish I was fearless enough to actually acknowledge my feelings for you. But I am a coward. And now I wish I am not too late. Seeing you with him shattered my heart”

I was speechless. I sat up. I heard him sigh.

“So starting today, on this very moment, my feelings will not be repressed anymore”

“I-I” I still couldn’t talk. I was shocked by his declaration. I am not even sure what he’s saying.

11:12

“Good night”

I looked at the caller id just to be sure. And I was right. It was him.

Evan Clarke

Oh gawd, what just happened? Did he just really say those things? What does he mean anyway?

Great. Now I’m more confused than ever and I have to take exams tomorrow. I need to sleep. Maybe that could help me out.

---

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY ANNIE!” Lola shouted after entering my room.

“Lola! Ang aga aga!” I covered my head with a pillow.

“Pakiss nga ako sa birthday gerl!” Lola sat beside me and attempted to kiss me.

“Lola naman eh!” I pushed her away.

“Bakit? Porket ba may mga nanliligaw na sa iyo, hindi ka na magpapakiss saken?” Lola pouted.

That got my attention. I remembered what happened last night. Someone called at exactly 11:11 in the evening. He told me things I’m not sure how to react.

Lola took this chance to kiss my cheek and hug me. Papa entered together with Ate Inday. He was carrying a small shopping bag while she was holding out a cake.

And then it hit me. Today is my birthday and I totally forgot about it.

Ate Inday held the cake to me so I blew the candles. Lola clapped and hugged me again. Papa then kissed my head and gave me the shopping bag.

“Para san to, Pa?” I asked him. We don’t really celebrate my birthday. This was the first time he gave me a gift again after so many years.

“Open mo” he nodded towards the bag.

I opened thebag and took out a box. It was obvious that it was a box for a jewelry. I looked at Papa. He just nodded to continue. I opened the box and saw that it was a pin. I observed it closely.

The pin looked vintage and old. It was round shaped surrounded with silver intricate details. At the center is an angel. It was beautiful.

“Kay Mama mo yan” Papa said behind me.

I looked at him.

“I think it’s time na ibigay ko na sa iyo. Ikaw lang naman magmamana niyan. Galing raw iyan sa mga magulang niya. Binigay raw yan ng Lola mo bago siya pumanaw”

I inspected it closely. It looked more beautiful to me now that I knew it used to belong to my Mother’s family.

I looked back at Papa and hugged him.

“Thank you, Pa. Ang ganda” I told him.

“Parang kayo lang ng Mama mo” he said.

“Si Kuya Nate na lang kulang. Kumpleto na tayo” I said after hugging him.

“Tinawagan namin kanina gamit ang Skype. Kaso hindi sumasagot. Alam mo naman na busy siya anak. Intindihin mo na lang, okay?” Papa explained.

They didn’t stay inside my room for long. They excused themselves out after promising me that we would eat out together later after my exams.

I hurriedly prepared myself for school. I may be celebrating my birthday today but that’s not enough of an excuse to skip my Chemistry exam.

I looked at Mama’s pin one last time before setting it inside a drawer and went out of the room.

Papa already left when I walked out of my room. He has an early meeting with some important people in the government so he can’t cancel. He just promised me to be there when I get home. And since Derek will be driving me to school today as usual, I didn’t mind.

I walked out of the house, towards the gate when I saw that Derek was already outside our house. He was waiting for me outside of his car. He looked so handsome that I felt guilty remembering the phone call last night.

I walked closer to him and he took something out of the car. A bouquet of flowers. He gave them to me.

“Wow” I couldn’t help myself but admire at both the pretty flowers and his sweetness.

“Happy Birthday, An” he said before kissing my hand.

I touched his cheek and then hugged him. Tightly this time. It was so sudden he was surprised.

“Thank you…for everything…Derek” I whispered in his ear.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oha oha? Ano na? Ang sayang birthday noh? May Evan na, may Derek pa. Ang haba lang ng hair ni Anita! Will be updating in a few minutes! xoxo