TWO

The next morning came as soon as it arrived and it was the best day to celebrate a birthday.
James stop at the farm and climb out of his vehicle looking around.

"Hi dad." Amelia greeted him and run up to him giving him a hug.

"Hi. Where's your mother?" He asked curiously.

"Busy." Amelia giggled and show him to go into the stabbles.

He does and go in hearing the sweetest voice echoing through the whole place.

"Look into my eyes. You will see. What you mean to me. Search your heart, search your soul. And when you find me there you'll search no more. Don't tell me it's not worth tryin' for. You can't tell me it's not worth dyin' for." She sang the song by Bryan Adams just minding her own business.

James gave a smile seeing her brushing her horse's hair with her back turned to him.

"Still a fan of Bryan Adams?" He asked as she gave a fright and turn around looking at him in horror.

"You came." She said scanning him from head to toe.

"Of course I came. It's my son's birthday." He responded scanning her face as she was a little speechless and caught off guard.

"I know. I just assumed you wouldn't come." She replied to him.

"Why not?" He asked her as she lean to the table that stood next to him.

"Because you have a better life out there." She replied and put the brush on the table stepping away from him again. "Which obviously should have been the reason you wouldn't have wanted to come."

"Okay thanks for offending me." He thanked as she gave a little giggle starting to fix the gate which her horse was in. "So where's Pebble?"

"She died." Merilize replied feeling the emotional flood over flowing in her. "Snake bit her."

"That's awful." James said worried about her that turned so unhappy. "When did this happen?"

"A few months ago in April." Merilize replied and lock the gate.

"Oh." James replied scanning her wondering face that travelled back to meet his.

"I can't believe our oldest baby is getting 28 today." Merilize chuckled with a little lump in her throat.

"Me neither." James replied and look at her that started petting the horse with a beautiful smile on her face. "No offence but how long has it been now?"

"Eigteen years." She replied and look at James that came standing next to her also starting to pet the horse.

"Eighteen years? Damn that's way too long." He reacted as Merilize gave him an odd look.

"Yeah well, we better get going. Sebast and his family will be here any minute now." Merilize said and was about to walk out but stopped when she saw James is staring the colours out of her eyes. "He doesn't know you're here so...surprise for him."

"Sure." He responded.

She give a little smile and walk out. He look down at the floor then back at her that walked out. Quick decision, he also walked out.

The car pull in after James's car and out climbed Sebastian and his fiance, Emma with their little girl, Ava that's about three years old.

"Oh my gosh!" Merilize shout filled with excitement running up to them with James and the girls following her. She go straight to Sebastian and give him a hug while the rest greeted Emma and Ava. "Happy birthday sweetheart."