pt 23

"It's not your fault," It was a low whisper. I barely heard it. Looking back up it was mother.

"What?"

"I should have told you this.. I should have told you long ago.. I'm sorry." She hung her head low, her pride gone. Her eyes wandering off somewhere. "Let's go home and i'll show you." Following her slow pace i realized today wasn't even a school day. Man my head just isn't here today. "Go upstairs in my room i'll be right there," She gently pushed me forward. Putting my bag down i went up, the socks never lifting from the wooden floors. Pushing her door open i see a small red box emitting so much, power. There as i walked closer i felt all of it's contents, sadness, love... but most of all i felt all the anger and rage.

"That box, was made by your father..." My mom said coming into the room.

"You mean Chris?"

"Your real father Imy." Taking a deep breath she continued. "He wasn't a normal human, heck he wasn't human at all. We was a ...well a yokai. One who had the ability to use flames, though he was very strong he couldn't fully control that ability."

"He was a yokai who could use fire..." I repeated making sure it sunk in.

"But one time he traveled into our world and fate brought us together,"With her eyes closed i saw mother smiling. " He was silly enough to fall in love with a human and i brave enough to follow a yokai. In the end we had you and your two younger siblings. Though only you inherited that...ability." She says it as if she's disgusted... but she fell in love with father?

"Just like your father you can't control it... it's so strong one small setback forces it out."

"...I get it i really do. But so what if i have that?"

"You don't get it. You can use fire."

"Yes so?"

"Remember- remember, the death of the Jinn's son. The death of my boss, that teacher, the death of... your family." Is- is this what it feels like to be in shock? Why can't i wrap my head around what she's saying...what is she saying!

"IMY! You are the killer! Can't you see! You're not human!" Emptying her lungs she threw those words at me and sank to the floor. "Your father said to tell you when you were 18, but i can't take it anymore." Through her tears she looked up at me, "You've killed 6 people Imy! Three were your own flesh and blood!" Stop... "Who's next huh? Is it Chris?" Please mother.. Please stop, "Maybe me! Right because you're not human...you don't care who dies!" 

"Stop! Please ! I can't take it!" Grabbing my head i shook. I was shaking violently, my mom screaming in the back , that red box's power getting stronger. "You're not my daughter! You-you monster!" You said you loved me...please don't say that. "I already spoke to Chris, were moving and you can keep this house." After her tantrum she breathed in and spoke calmly. "I told him you wanted to be independent but he insisted we pay for your living expenses for two more years. Be thankful. We leave tomorrow morning. Enjoy the house...Monster." Walking away she slammed the door shut. 

I was all alone in the room now, with the box that was the only link left with my deceased father.