Chapter 4

❝I trust in the universe to unfold as it should, to reveal my path and guide me along on my journey. But I also recognize that sometimes fate requires a little push. That while the cosmos may provide me with the blueprint to my destiny, it is my duty to get my hands dirty and build something of it.❞
ㅡBeau Taplin//Blueprint

~~~

CHAPTER 4
Summer Heat
Hyunjoo

The summer heat is going to be the death of me. When I thought about running away, it didn't really occur to me that it's actually way hotter outside than inside my room. It's only ten in the morning and I don't know where I'm off to. I haven't really been into this part of town. It's a long, almost deserted road, if not for the coffee shop few steps away from me. I settled there and I took a seat until the employee there asked me if I'm going to order something because they don't allow people who don't buy anything from the shop sit there for too long. I forced a smile and said I was just resting, and that I'm going to order latte macchiato and a croissant. Even though, really, I wasn't planning to order because I brought some bread and water with me. I tried to ignore the regret that rushes over me as I handed the payment for my orders, and then I ate silently. I looked through the huge transparent glass windows and saw the sun shining so bright, and I heard people older than me in the shop chatting and gossiping, and when I finished and I went back outside, I heard the sound of the trees and their dancing leaves, the chirping of the birds and the sound of the river flowing nearby. And then I thought, it's nice to be outside.

Maybe it's not so bad, after all.

If I was home, I would still be sleeping by this time.

I kept walking. I was just going to keep walking until I could think of where to go and what to explore. Now that I'm here, it does feel exciting, but scary too.

I took the deserted road and after minutes and minutes of walking, I took a rest under a shade. From here, I could get a glimpse of the next town. I see houses a bit further away from where I'm sitting and I noticed the trees multiply as I went away from my town. The wind improved as well, but still hot. My face was flushed and sweat trickled off my forehead. I looked at the time. 11:40.
I took a deep breath and grabbed a book from my backpack. I read and I don't notice time passing by.

#

Hyunjoo's home

Hyunjoo's mom opened the door to her daughter's room when she didn't make any sound. She just got home from work. It's 4:15 but her daughter hadn't been responding to her calls and texts.

Her heart skipped a beat when she found the room empty and unusually neat. She looked around and all her daughter's posters are still up on the walls, her bed is made carefully and dirty piles of clothes are gone from the chair in the corner. Her study table is neat, her laptop still rested there along with her many different kinds of pens. There's a paper on the top of the computer. Her heart beat accelerated. Tears began to form her eyes as she took the paper and confirmed to herself that it's a letter from her daughter who ran away.

She immediately called her, and then her other children.

"Hyunjee!" she exclaimed. Her daughter, older than Hyunjoo, who's in college immediately sensed the panic and fear in her voice.

"Mom, is everything okay?"

"Your sister left."

"What?"

"Hyunjoo left. She left me a letter... I don't know what to do. She's not answering her phone..."

"Why would she do that?"

She shook her head. "I guess she's been feeling really sad. I saw her crying last nightㅡbut I didn't know she would leave, Hyunjee."

"Mom, listen. Calm down, okay? Hyunjoo is going to come back. You know how she hates going outside. Send me the letter she left and we'll figure out what to do."

#

Hongseok

I woke up at five noon from a long nap. I got up and peeked outside the window of the RV van. It's still so bright. I haven't really gotten so far from my town. All I did was sleep and call my friends to invite them over. None of them had come yet.

I turned on my phone and saw twenty missed calls, most of them from my mom, the other from my friends asking to hang out or asking where I am.

mom: your dad is angry. please come back.

mom: dont do this, hongseok please. dont make things worse.

mom: your dad only said that in the heat of the moment.

mom: your brother is looking for you.

mom: im worried, son. please call me.

mom: call me when you need anything. your dad isn't happy with what you did. he might cut off your card.

mom: i love you.

hyojong: DUD WHERE IN D HELL R U?

minji: hey hongseok! theres a beach party tonight near at shinwon's. you should come :) nine.

hyojong: IT'S SO DAMN HOT R U OUT OF TOWN?

hyojong: THERES A PARTY AT SHINWONS PLACE LETS GO THERE TONIGHT

seonho: hyung, where are you?

I took a deep breath and replied first to my younger brother, Seonho.

hongseok ➡ seonho: hey. im just wandering around. everything ok?

seonho: well... no. it's a mess here.
seonho: i wish you didnt leave.

hongseok: can u promise me you wont tell mom and dad?

seonho: what?

hongseok: meet me at shinwon's tonight.

seonho: butㅡjeez. fine. see u there.

hongseok ➡ hyojong: i'll come.

hongseok ➡ mom: thanks, mom.

hongseok ➡ minji: Is Hyunjoo coming too?

minji: uh. i cant contact her. 😰
minji: why?

hongseok: nothing. i'll be there tonight.

I put down my phone, feeling my head ache with all those text messages.

At eight, just when the sun was setting, I drove my way to Shinwon's. It's half an hour away from this town. He used to live here but he moved away with his family when he went to college. As I turned the van around back to my town where I have to pass by again to get to Shinwon's, my eyes caught a familiar face. She was walking by the sidewalk with earphones in her ears, huge bag on her back. I slowed down and watched her. I passed by her. I watched her through the side mirror. She walked slowly. She fell. She fainted.