Chapter 3

"Are you saying you won't take her in?" The shouting pierced my ears and left it ringing.

"I told you to be quiet! Our hearing is very sensitive!" Alec yelled at Azalea.

"No, you are putting words in my mouth, girl." This voice was very old and very dark, and drawling. "I will take in the girl but I will handle of the follies of the boy myself. You and your...unsightly organization will stay out of that business."

"Then you will have to allow us to check in on the girl every now and again." "She has a name, Alec. And if you three are going to continue to shout..." Nalia's voice sounded like it faded for a second and then there was silence.

The girl. Were they talking about me? I opened my eyes. Nalia was next to me with another woman. She was a plump woman and she looked like a nurse too but she stood motionless at the door. She wore a pure white apron and a plain blouse and pants to mach. The nurse gracefully walked out of the room when she noticed I was awake.

"They sounded like they were here." I told Nalia as she helped me sit up.

"They were here thirty minutes ago," she explained. "I kicked them out to allow you to rest longer. You were becoming very restless with their shouting."

Alec entered the room first followed by Azalea and finally an older man, but he didn't look that old, maybe in his thirties. His bald head gleamed in the dim light and his eyes looked nearly black with hints of a maroon tint. He looked as if he were going to a funeral. Azalea looked like she was pouting. The older man took my hand and touched the bite. He sighed in a disgusted manner and dropped my hand. "What is your name?" He asked me.

I looked at Nalia.

The man rolled his eyes. "I did not ask her for your name I asked you! Do you even remember your human name, girl? Or are you a mute? Don't tell me my son turned a mute woman."

"Naomi," I finally blurted out.

"Naomi...Naomi Necrarch..." He sounded like he was testing the sound and the feel of the name. He waved his hand when he made his decision, "I do not like the name Naomi. Amelia suits you better. You have such a pretty face and you deserve a pretty name."

"But...that isn't my name."

He rubbed his temple like my voice gave him a headache. "I do not have time to explain things to you. I will call you Amelia. When I introduce you and when you introduce yourself your name is Amelia. I will send in someone to explain to you our customs." He gestured to himself, "I am Matthew Necrarch, the head of the Necrarch clan. You are very fortunate to have come from a very prestigious and well bred family, Amelia." With that he simply walked from the room without any indications that he was leaving. In the hall I saw servants stop to bow and greet their master before moving along silently.

The nurse shut the door behind him and bowed to me from the waist. "I am Jillian. I will be your nurse until you are at your full strength." This sounded rehearsed.

I nodded. "Nice to meet you," I whispered.

Nalia took up her bag. "Have they found him yet, Alec?"

He nodded and stepped closer to her, whispering in her ear, "But not without some trouble. Reports say they had to use a memory potion or two. Not good for our reputation."

Jillian spoke, "I will have to ask you to leave us now. She is very weak still and there will soon be another person in the room to explain everything to her. All you will do is overwhelm the poor child."

Alec asked, "Do you mind if I stay for the trial?"

"You will have to ask Master Matthew."

Alec and Azalea and Nalia walked out of the room. Only Nalia looked back at me to wave good-bye. As soon as their feet were out the door a geeky looking man pushed passed them and stepped into the room before the door could close. He was pale, like all vampires, but he was also scrawny and he looked very timid and he carried a large amount of books. He wore glasses that sat skewed on his nose, something I never would have guessed. I thought vampires had perfect vision. After shutting the door he bowed.