Chapter 14

Sandy blonde hair, bright blue eyes with tiny red specks outlining the iris, our father's crooked smile. His jaw made his face seem small and boyish. Memories flooded me all at once and I  felt sick. My vision clouded and the room was felt small and cramped with too many people. 

"Everyone, I give to you my son, Kyle Giovanni!"

Everyone clapped and cheered except for me. I couldn't believe who I had been talking to. He was so close for me to touch. I could've hugged my brother for the first time.

What happened on that day? How long had he been like this?

"Hey, you alright?" I could barely hear the dragon boy. He grabbed my arm as I started to back up. "Come on, let's get you some air." I didn't want to go with him but I was too much in shock to argue.

Alec pushed through the crowd and stopped the dragon boy from taking me outside.

"What do you want?" The dragon hissed.

"Where are you taking her?" Alec demanded.

"Outside! Can't you see she needs to go?"

My body shuttered in a shake. Why was I shaking so much? Shouldn't I be happy to see him? I was scared. I was sad. I was angry at Damien. Another hand was on my arm. "I will take her, young boy," Matthew's voice was calm.

The dragon boy looked him up and down and finally let me go. Matthew and Alec ushered me out of the hall and into a guest room. Alec guarded the outside of the door.

Matthew gently pushed me to sit on the bed but all I did was stare at the wall. What was I supposed to do? Go back and avoid him? Confront him? Should we even speak? What would we talk about? What does he like? Does he have a girlfriend? What happened when he disappeared? Should I apologize? This was my fault. If only I had been watching him.

"You've been quiet for a long time." Matthew sat next to me.

"I don't know what to do," I forced the answer out. A mouse crawled across the baseboard and crawled into a hole. "Did you know?"

"I knew it was a boy he had named Kyle. Alec and I have been investigating the matter for a long while. It wasn't until you came and saw him that I was sure. But we still don't know. For all we know it's someone who looks like your brother. Please, understand that."

I wanted it to be him. I so badly wanted it to be Ky but, at the same time, I didn't want Ky to be here.

"I cannot stay here long. I've got an appearance to keep up. Stay in here until you're better," but we both knew I would probably stay in here until the party was over.

As soon as I was alone I grabbed a pillow and buried my head in it and started to cry. The pillow muffed my sobs so nobody would hear. I wanted Jillian to be there with me. I couldn't wait to get home to cry to her, to tell her. I wanted her advice.

After a long while my sobbing stopped. I returned the pillow to its place and opened the door. "Alec?" Alec turned around toward me. "Can we go outside for a little while?"

He led me outside into the cold night air.

"What month is it?" I realized I didn't even know what time of year it should be.

"Almost Halloween, I think. So, October." Alec leaned against the wall with his hands tucked into his pocket.

October was the month Ky went missing. It was an unusually hot month.

My stomach continued to churn so painfully that I had to lean against him. "I don't feel so well," I mumbled to him.

"There you are!" Alec and I looked up to the familiar voice. It belonged to the dragon boy. Alec went stiff against me as he walked over. "You really look sick. Is there anything you need?"