Chapter Twenty-Two

Nick could clearly hear André's sobs and he had to admit, it broke his heart. The singer couldn't imagine what he must be feeling like in that moment. "André..." he said quietly and the model buried his face in his hands, crying a little harder. Nick licked his lips, looking around a little. Nobody was around. It was just the two of them. He had to swallow his pride. He couldn't just leave the other male alone and get back inside. It's not like he could do much there anyways.

Nick cleared his throat and walked over to André. He got down on the floor next to him and leaned back against the wall as well, looking ahead. From where they were sitting, they had a beautiful view over LA, the cars passing by in the distance and the sun slowly setting at the horizon. It was a pretty day, a little more sunny than usual in March and a few clouds on the sky. It's so sad that such a beautiful day had to end so tragically.

Nick licked his lips, unsure of what to say or do. André sniffed a little and wiped his eyes with the sleeve of his shirt before he looked up at the singer. Nick could see the pain in his eyes and suddenly, he felt so guilty. He took the one good thing that was left in André's life: Demi's love. "I'm so sorry, André." Nick said quietly.

"Don't bother, Nick." André said, avoiding the singer's gaze. "I know you wanted to fight for her. You did. And apparently you won." he said and his chin quivered a little. "It's just... I should've known it's not gonna work out between her and me. I should've just trusted my guts and ended things before it got this far." he said and Nick frowned.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

André swallowed hard and looked at Nick. "I knew she was still in love with you. I don't know why, but I just felt it." he said and shrugged. "But I desperately tried to hold onto the relationship because I was so deeply in love with her. I still am and I probably will be for a long time. I wanted so badly for us to have a happy ending." André let out a little sob and looked down on the ground, crying again.

Nick didn't know what to say. "I-I..."

"Don't say anything." André warned. "You don't get to come here and tell me you're so sorry about all of this. I know you're not. You're not sorry that she chose you."

Nick looked down. As bad as it was to admit it, André was right. Nick was not sorry about the fact that Demi was still in love with him and wanted to give them another chance. The thing he was sorry for was Theo's passing, though.

"I know you probably don't believe this either, but I'm really sorry for your loss." Nick said and André closed his eyes. More tears rolled down his cheek and he leaned his head back against the wall, sobbing quietly. "No matter what happened between you, me and Demi...nobody deserves this. I really hope you will get through this and...even though we're not friends anymore, I'm there for you. You are a part of Demi's life. You two had a baby together. And I hope and wish for the two of you that maybe one day, you will be able to move on from this and be friends again." Nick said and slowly placed his hand on André's shoulder. "Who knows? Maybe one day, we will be again, too."

André sniffed and looked up to the sky. He took a deep and shaky breath. "Can you leave me alone, please?" he asked and Nick licked his lips, nodding.

He got back on his feet, looked down on André for a while before he turned around and walked back into the hospital. He didn't feel good about leaving him out there by himself, but he knew he would've probably asked for the same. It was understandable that he wanted to be alone for a while and process everything that happened, but knowing about how hard it hit him when he lost his daughter, it left Nick with an uneasy feeling.

The singer headed back to Demi's family and Phil, his hands buried deep in his pockets. Nick chewed on his bottom lip a little and saw the expressions on their face. "Well? Where is he? What is he doing?" Dianna asked and walked over to Nick, placing her hands on his biceps.