♥37♥

I was in downtown when I reached the store where I saw a pack of cigarettes on display under the title, new arrival; suddenly curious and yearning for one, I bought a pack and lit one in a corner where the trash cans vomited littering the cement patch, the grounds and walls alike. 

Ignoring the piercing fragrance of forgotten meals and promises; I sniffed and inhaled the poisonous killer and felt it coiling through my innards. I let it spiral and squeeze until I burst out coughing. 

"New, huh!" the voice startled me, making me jump. I lost my cigarette into the cement that was thick with grime, blackness and white colored patches. God knows what else. I sniffed again and took another one. I ignored the voice too. Be it a homeless guy or ghost, I don't give a damn.

I lit another one, inhaled and coughed again.

"It ain't manners to be smoking while the man is dying without a hook."

"Go die somewhere else then." I retorted.

"Oh, I see it's a lady. Emotional imbalance or hormonal imbalance, what is it?"

"Why do you care you fuc*ing moron..."

"I don't! I just want a joint."

"Go buy yourself." My answers were futile since he laughed a deep rumble, irritating me even more. I looked around to see where he was. I couldn't catch him. No matter how sunny and gloomy the day was, the man was hidden in between the darkness that his corner had to offer.

I resumed inhaling, coughing while he continued to laugh and ask for one.

Finally, I gave in for a moment's peace. "Where the fuc* are you so that I can give you one?"

He tapped on a trashcan and I moved in search of the voice until I saw him and I doubled down unable to keep in my sob. He was lying with a nasty cut on his thighs but the blood was crusted and black. His dress was untidy, no not untidy; it was a freaking mess with his hair matted and looking exactly like the cement patch I saw on the ground. His eyes were white, that means he can't see, I concluded. I really sobbed seeing his condition.

"Oh my God..."

"Ain't no one given this man that pity pray since I can remember. It's good to see humanity is not dead. Now give me one."

"No, I mean here... But, when was the last time you ate?"

"Why do you care?" he yelled at me, the same way I did to him. I cried, he laughed. "Nah, don't worry, I pull your legs, you pull it up. A sweet homeless that has fortunate legs with no shoes to walk on, steal a bit and shares the bit. But, I am halfway there. I will meet my sweet Jesus soon."

"Oh my God, what is there that I can help you with?"

"You the money type kid?" he asked me with curiousness but not that kind of curious to steal from me or something. He sounded genuinely honest.

"Umm, kind of, I mean my father has, not me and... forget it, I... I ran away."

"Kids with money run away while kids with no money stay stuck to stand guard and get beaten up. It's a sick world."

"You know no shit about me."

"I don't want to and I am not talking about you alone. I have seen this world enough to know it kid. You sound roughly out of high school and if I sense you right, I am sure you are of that age."

"How did you...?"

"You see, a man doesn't need to have the luxury to be wise. A man with money becomes unwise. Now a girl like you talking to me will make you see as if you are an occult member." He sniggered at that.