chapter twenty three: email.

*colby's pov*

steph posted her first video yesterday, and i'm so proud of her. i know she's afraid of getting hate, and everyone does get hate eventually. i get it everyday. but she had the courage, after all the crap she's gone through, to make something her own and put it out to the public. she's really getting better- i hope that i'm part of what's making that happen.

i told her she might go to vidcon this year, which would be awesome, because she could come to our meet and greets and i can get her to meet her favorite youtubers at the parties. i feel like vidcon would be an awesome opportunity for her, especially because she could learn new tricks from someone other than me.
i just really want her to succeed at this.

i smiled to myself as i looked at her instagram, seeing all the pictures she posts of her and the roommates, who have become her best friends. then, i got a text from none other than her.

steph💓: meet me at my car, i'm going out to buy a ukulele.

a ukulele? she can play an instrument? what else can she do? she's like magic, i'll never understand her.

i pushed myself off my bed and grabbed my phone and my wallet, then i headed downstairs and out the door to see her leaning on the side of her car.

"what the hell are you going to do with a ukulele?" i asked her, walking around to the passenger side and opening the door.

"what do you think i'm gonna do with it, stupid? i'm gonna play it," she pushed my arm as she sat down, starting the car up.

"do you know how?"

"yeah, i learned it years ago, my old ukulele broke last year and i never replaced it."

"wait, so you're telling me you can play an instrument on top of everything else you do? can you fricking do magic?" i laughed, a smile creeping up her cheeks.

"yes, i can play an instrument."

"you have to sing me something."

"nope, i suck." she stated.

"no you don't."

"how do you know?" she raised her eyebrow at me then turned her attention back to the road.

"because you sang with me in the car one time and you sounded great, and the bathroom walls aren't exactly soundproof. all that shower singing is loud and clear when i'm upstairs." i winked and she blushed intensely, her eyes bulging with embarrassment.

"you hear- ahem- you hear me sing in the shower?" she coughed out.

"yes, and you always sound amazing. i never thought you were a paramore fan, i like them too," i poked her sides.

"oh god, stop," she cringed.

"you're going to sing to me when you get that ukulele.

"no, absolutely not."

•••

*stephanie's pov*

we returned back to the house, my new ukulele in hand. i got a solid wood concert uke- that's my favorite size, and i've always wanted a wood one. my last one was painted bright yellow.

i hurried upstairs and colby entered the living room to watch tv. i placed the case with my new instrument in it down on my bed, snatched my computer and went back down by colby so i could sit with him while i checked through my emails and stuff.

i opened up my gmail to find a few new unopened letters. i have a few from spotify about getting premium, but there was one email from youtube. like, the company.

"hey colby?" i asked, a cocktail of fear and excitement stirring in my stomach.

"what's up?" he replied, scooting over to sit next to me. he wrapped arm around my shoulders and i pointed to my screen where the email was.

"open it, it might be good news." he said, nudging me a little.

i dragged my mouse over to it and clicked, and i'm glad that i did.
colby read the letter aloud.

"Dear Stephanie M.,
We cordially invite you to join us at Vidcon in Anaheim, CA next week.
All details will be included below.
We hope to see you there!"

"holy crap-"

"you got invited to vidcon," colby said.

"i got invited to vidcon." i repeated, processing the news.
"I GOT INVITED TO VIDCON!" i jumped up from the couch and danced a little, a laugh escaping my lips.

"YOU GOT INVITED TO VIDCON!" colby hopped up and hugged me tight, smiling wide.

"this will be so much fun, you'll get to meet all your favorite fellow youtubers, go to the parties, meet fans-"

"i forgot i had fans." i giggled.

"you might even have a meet up with fans, steph. you're going to love this."

(an: this chapter was shorter than normal, but the next chapter about vidcon will probably going to be two or maybe even three parts long, so i'm trying to keep a bit of balance.
AND HOLY SHIT 700+ READS??!! THANK YOU GUYS SO MUCH THIS IS INSANE
i love you all so much, i'm so happy you guys like this crappy story. more chapters coming soon !!!!)