Chapter Six

Charles pulled up the collar of his leather jacket as the early morning wind lashed against his face and neck.

A moment later the main door opened and Josephine stepped out.

Charles was struck by how beautiful she looked. She was dressed immaculately in cream pants with a red fitting jacket. Her hair was pulled back in a pony tail, further highlighting her perfectly sculpted face.

“Good morning” Josephine greeted Charles who nodded in response.

Charles pulled open the back door but Josephine walked around and got in the passenger seat.

“You are my bodyguard, not the driver”

“Potato, patato” Charles muttered as he closed the back door and got in the driver seat. Where was she going at this hour in the morning dressed to kill?

“Where are we going?” Charles asked.

“Wait” Josephine said as she tapped in an address in the GPS system. It was a good one hour drive from the mansion.

“This seems like a farmhouse out in nowhere” Charles said raising his eyebrow and looking over at Josephine.

“It is a closes friend. I need to visit him.”

Charles simply nodded. He would analyze the safety once he reached there. He was armed as well so hopefully it was all good. He hated going in blind.

The drive was a silent one with Josephine stealing glances at Charles and he simply lost in his own thoughts out which the one rattling him the most was “who was this ‘close friend’” she needed to meet this early in the morning? A secret lover?

Charles turned the car down the long drive that lead to the sprawling farmhouse. He immediately spotted guards all over the place.  So this place was guarded like a fort.

“You have to wait in the car” Josephine said as she unbuckled her seatbelt and grabbed her handbag which had the package in it.

“What?” Charles growled

“You heard me. You are not going in” Her father had told her to let him wait in the car. He had told her that no one is going to lay a finger on her as long as she was in the presence of Dmitri.

Moreover Jacques didn’t want Charles involved in the business just yet. He needed to make sure he could trust him.

“I am you bodyguard.”

“I am your employer. So stay put. I will be out in a few minutes.”

“Ms. Laurent, I will not let you walk into this place unguarded” Charles had a bad gut feeling about this whole place. His senses were on high alert.

“Why? Your spidey senses tingling? Calm down. He is a close friend” Josephine retorted and stepped out of the car. She was nervous as hell but knew how to mask it.

He was about to argue back but decided against it. She was his employer and if she didn't want him to accompany her then so be it. She shot him one last glance and walked towards the main door.

Charles slammed his palm against the steering wheel and let out a frustrated sigh. What the hell was going on? What was she doing here at this god forsaken hour? Charles raked his brain and tried to recall if the material that he had read about the Laurent family indicated that Josephine was aware of her father’s illegal business but all that mentioned was her being kidnapped and attempts to murder her.

He impatiently waited for her, his muscles coiled to react at any slight danger.

Josephine was escorted to the study by a man  who seemed like he never smiled a day in his life. She sat down on the chair opposite a huge mahogany desk and waited for Dmitri to show up. Her mind wandered to fuming man she left in the car. She was going to have to deal with his more than usual bad mood all the way back to Paris.

“Welcome to my humble abode Ms. Laurent” a deep velvety voice greeted her and she twisted in her seat to look at the man who ran the Russian mafia.

Josephine had never met Dmitri before though she had met his father on two different accounts, both times tied and gagged as he had kidnapped her to blackmail her father.

Dmitri was a handsome man in a rugged sense. He had jet black hair that was swiped back from his face. He had sharp icy blue eyes. A tailor made dark blue Armani suit adorned his six feet well built frame.  He smiled at Josephine but his eyes were ice cold.

Josephine stood up and Dmitri held out his hand. He took her hand and placed a soft kiss on her knuckles, his icy stare not leaving her face, making her uncomfortable.

“Your father never told me he had such a beautiful daughter” He said and smiled at her.

“Thank you” Josephine muttered and cleared her throat.

“Please sit” Dmitri said as he rather than sitting on the other side of the table, sat down in the chair next to her.

“Father sent over a folder that he wanted you to sign” Josephine said as she pulled out the package and placed it on the table, wanting to get this whole ordeal over with.

“Ofcourse. Anything for you Ms. Laurent.” Dmitri leaned over, his face inches from her and then leaned back.

“Just grabbing a pen” He smirked and pulled the papers towards him.

He flipped the folder open.

“I am just going to sign this for you because I am sure I can trust a beautiful woman as you Ms. Laurent. Moreover I am also in a rush, I have a plane waiting. Going to Moscow. Unless you want to accompany me?” Dmitri said as he scribbled his signature on the dotted line without reading the documents.

Josephine let go of a breath she wasn’t aware she was holding.

Dmitri stood up, the folder still in his hand.

“Here you go” He said as he held out the folder towards her. Josephine took hold of it when he suddenly yanked the folder, pulling her along with it.

“It was nice meeting you. I hope we don’t regret this meeting” He whispered in her ear.

A shiver ran down Josephine spine and she wanted to get the hell out of this place.

The same unsmiling man escorted her to the foyer from where she rushed to Charles waiting impatiently in the car.

From the study window above, Dmitri watched her hurriedly enter the car. He was no fool. He knew what that rat Jacques was up to. He was going to teach the bastard a lesson. Dmitri didn’t appreciate back stabbers.

He pulled out his phone and dialed a number.

“Make sure Ms. Laurent doesn’t make it to Paris.”

Vote and Comment!