Chapter Nine

"I am fine" Charles gritted out as the doctor once again flashed the pen light in his eyes.

"Of course you are. You are lucky to survive with such minimal injuries" The doctor said as he wrote down a prescription for pain medications for the muscle soreness and ache.

Charles shrugged on his shirt and jacket and grabbed his stuff from the examination table.

"Here you go" The doctor handed him a prescription. "If you experience any worsening of the pain or any other symptoms such as vomiting or severe headache, immediately go to the nearest emergency"

"Alright" Charles said as he took the prescription and walked out. Jacques still hadn't arrived at the hospital though his men had and the doctor that had them checked out was also known to Jacques.

The minute they had arrived at the hospital, they had immediately been taken to separate examination rooms. Charles didn't know where they had taken Josephine and how she was doing.

"Where is Ms. Laurent?" Charles asked one of the men Jacques had sent who was standing outside his examination room.

"She is going to be kept under observation for the night. She is in a private room."

"I need to see her" Charles said

"You need to go rest. They have security detail outside her room. You are off duty for now"

Charles shot one look at the man and walked down the corridor. He would find her himself. He was about to turn the corridor when he saw her through the small window on the door. His steps faltered and his breath got stuck in his throat as he was transported back in time to a similar situation where he had lost the love his life.

Charles sprinted down the corridor, his heart racing as he looked for the direction to the oncology department.

"Charles, over here" Emilia's father Jake called out.

"What happened?" Charles frantically looked around for Emilia.

"They are prepping her for surgery" Jake said as he tried to control his own tears.

"Surgery? Why?"

"Her heart is giving out." Jake's voice broke.

"NO!"

"Charles!" Charles whirled around and saw both his parents running towards him.

Stuart looked at his son's distraught face. Elisa hugged Charles.

"Honey everything will be alright" She murmured as she patted his back.

"I need to see her" Charles said as he freed himself from her hug and stepped around her.

He walked to the room and saw Emilia hooked onto an IV set and two nurses hovering over her.

"Can I please talk to her for a minute?" He asked.

"Of course dear. We were about to ask the family to come in. Once the IV finishes we will head into surgery."

Charles nodded and walked over to her bed.

"Hey Houston"

"Seems like we have a problem" Emilia whispered back and smiled. Charles couldn't hold back the tears.

"Please Emilia. You are going to make it through. Prom is next weekend you know. You had your dress ordered and everything."

"Charlie..."

"No Emilia. We have our whole lives. You are going to become a doctor and then I will propose you in the most romantic way and then we will buy a house in that neighborhood you really like and have beautiful babies. Emilia...you have to fight this...for us, for our future..."

"I am sorry Charlie...I tried but I am not strong enough for this anymore. The cancer has spread to my heart"

"No, I can't live without you Emilia. You are my life. You are mine and you can't leave me. Marry me"

"Charlie please..."

"Marry me Emilia. You are going to go in that surgery and come out fine and then we are going to get married. We will fight this."

Charles grabbed her hand as tears flowed down his face.

"Charles..." Elise called out. She had heard her son's proposal. She removed the engagement ring from her finger and handed it to him. It had been worn by the Hunter women for generations.

Charles took the ring.

"Emilia please marry me..."

Emilia simply nodded.

Charles slipped on the ring on her finger.

"Promise me Emilia...you will come through this. I love you baby."

"I promise I will try Charlie. I love you more than life itself and even if I die I will know I died belonging to you" She said as she caressed the ring.

"Time for surgery" the nurse said as she wheeled Emilia out. She smiled at him and grasped his hand, her warmth giving him some hope. It was the last time he felt her warmth and smile. Three hours later Emilia passed away during the surgery, taking Charles' heart and soul with her.

Comment and Vote.
Please ❤