Fast Forward

Amerie POV

It's been 3 years and everything has changed. Layla was in the hospital for another 3 weeks but she made a full recovery.

I remember like it was yesterday...

The day after they began to ween her out of the medical induced coma to further examine the damage that was done. She had quite a bit of internal bleeding but nothing too extensive. Though I can say that now, then it was a living hell. You never realize how much you take for granted until it's all ripped away from you. She was the innocent one. She was the one who loved fearlessly and I was selfish and stupid. Those 3 weeks in the hospital watching my baby sister fight for her life was life changing.

While Layla was fighting for her life I was fighting for my mom. The doctors told me over and over that she was gone and it was time to let go but I believed. I don't know if it was my newfound faith, my support system in August and Mama Shiela or my need to make it right but I refused to give up.

A week after the initial shock I called on Angelo. I knew he hadn't done much, hell anything for us growing up but I knew he had money. More money than me. I begged and pleaded with him to have mom examined by a specialist. Someone who could really tell me if there was no hope. He found this doctor outside of Chicago who had recently published a study on brain dead patients and the different outcomes that were possible. He came to examine mom and suggested we try this new drug that was in the trial stages and EXPENSIVE but was it could possibly have a positive impact. Angelo agreed with no hesitation and we enrolled her in the trail.

A month later she was awake. No where near out of the woods but making progress. During this time Angelo had moved in began to really take on the father role that he'd be "deprived" of throughout the years.

Moms progress was long and slow but it gave me time. The time I needed to say all the words that I'd never said. To tell her how much I loved her and how much she'd been my best friend. Our bond grew and I made a promise to her that I'd never take her for granted again.

Fast forward to 3 years later and my family is complete once again.

Angelo aka Dad as we now call him and mom got married and are madly in love. Not going to lie, it's kinda odd seeing your parents all over one another but it gives me hope for me and August.

Speaking of August his music career took off not long after we graduated. He lives in New York now recording his 3rd album. Antonio is now his DJ and you'd never know they started off hating each other. Even though I don't see him everyday, FaceTime is our best friend. My baby did it. He became what he always wanted to be. Mama Sheila currently lives in the nice neighborhood about 20 minutes away and you can't tell her nothing!

As for me, I'm in my second year of college and I'm studying to be a nurse. I know right "following in my moms footsteps" but the truth be told it's deeper than that. During those 3 weeks at the hospital with Layla and the year of in and out of doctor's appointments with mom, I realized how crucial nurses really are. There was this one, Jessica who I swear willed me back to health as much as did Layla. She checked in on me and made sure to update me on every improvement. She cared for my sister as if she was her own. She showed me that god gave me a second chance with my family and that I wanted to give others that same chance.

Now I don't know where the future will take me but wherever that is I promise to love like there's no tomorrow and be thankful for everyday but as the old saying goes "tomorrow isn't promised."

Thank you guys for reading! I know it's been a HOT minute but I wanted to make sure I end this story for those who followed along from the beginning!

Comment and let me know what y'all think of the ending. A sequel maybe?

I'll be launching a new series of stories so be sure to subscribe to my website www.aurielscott.com to get notified when I have new ones for y'all!

Love,
Auriel xoxo