14|| A proposal

I still couldn't believe it. Basma got ENGAGED. Like she was not single anymore. And here I was going to university, absolutely single, with no decent guy around.

Wait, what was I thinking? I want to become the rich single aunty when I grow up. Forget relationships!

Muskaan

I changed into a khaki colored long maxi shirt and wore black tights underneath. I wore my plain black hijab and pinned it in place.

I hated not wearing pyjamas in my own house. After all, it had been long since I had seen 'guests' in my house.

I did light makeup of just applying concealer and mascara because I didn't want to look like a zombie nor did I want to look like I was trying too much.

I went down, and saw the guests sitting on the sofa. I didn't want to go alone in front of them, so I went into the kitchen.

"Khala jaan, who are these people?", I asked khala jaan.

"Rahat's cousins family", she said as she handed me a the tray of tea and biscuits.

Rahat auntys cousins family?! Strange. I mean like why would they come over? That too with the whole family?

I went in with the tray of biscuits and tea and served it.

"MashaAllah you're beautiful", a lady who looked roughly khala jaans age said. You could say that she was quite elegant by her dressing style. Her light turquoise shalwar kameez, with the navy blue and yellow embroidery details stood out.

Clueless of what to say I replied "Thankyou."
Why did she compliment me out of the blue?

"Beta, did you make the tea yourself?", a middle aged man, who seemed to be the lady's husband said.

"I didn-", I was cut off as khala jaan entered.

"Oh yeah she did. She also made these shami kababs", khala jaan said making me roll my eyes at her words. I didn't even know the C of cooking. I couldn't even make basic things like a sandwich. Let alone making 'Shami kababs'.

"What was the need for lying", I mentally whispered at khala jaan.

She glared at me as if there was something I didn't know of, but I should have understood by now.

Soon, the 'guests' finished the food and the talking was over.

"We love Muskaan beta. We only need to ask our son Muzhir before we take a step forward", she said as she bid us good-bye.

Pin drop silence had consumed me.

How did khala jaan not ask me for even once? Wasn't it my right to know about this?

"Khala jaan", I yelled and immediately realized I raised my voice,"Sorry."

"Beta I am sorry. But Muzhir is a great guy. He is religious, he is kind, and he is also a huge business man. A self made business man. And you're almost twenty one. These proposals don't come on a daily basis", she paused as my eyes widened. I didn't want to seem ungrateful, but I was just not ready for all of this.

"And don't worry. You will only get engaged. The marriage will be after you graduate and have a career", she said making me sigh in relief, "I understand you're too young, but you never know what happens in life. If you're engaged, I won't have to worry about you for probably the next four-five years"

I knew the marriage would happen after like five years, but still. I just wasn't ready for all of this. For being committed.

It's not like I like someone else, it's just that it's too early for me. I don't plan on getting married at the age of 24. I don't plan on getting married at all. But if I do then at 28 or 29. Not 24.

I want to find my life partner, I don't want it to be chosen for me.

My own cloud of thoughts had consumed me, until khala jaan dropped a plate on the ground. I immediately looked around to see khala jaan had fell on the floor. What just happened?

I quickly took some water and sprinkled it on her, as her eyes opened. She opened her mouth to talk but I cut her off as I wanted her to take rest. She was not feeling well.

I quickly dialed the doctors number and she came in about 10 minutes.

She checked khala jaan and gave me a list of medicines for her.

"She has just been stressing too much, she has not been eating properly. She has been eating very little", making a tear escape my eyes. I completely forgot about khala jaan after university had started. She didn't even eat properly.

"But, she will be fine soon. It's nothing major or serious", she said in an assuring tone making me nod.

The doctor left as I closed the door.

"Khala jaan please promise me you will take care of yourself when I go to uni", I said as she half smiled.

"So what have you thought of?", she asked.

"Of what?", I asked completely forgetting the incident that had happened today.

"Muzhir", she said making look away. It was not that I was blushing or something. I was just annoyed.

"Khala I dont-", I cut myself off, "Yes, I am ready. I agree to this alliance, for what you have thought for me is the best"

I agreed because I just couldn't deny khala jaan. She had loved me like her own daughter. She was there for me, when the world turned its paths. How could I simply say no?

Even if I agreed, deep down I hated the whole idea. I hated the fact that I would have to stay committed to a relationship. I hated that I agreed upon a proposal from someone I never met.

"I am proud of you", she said as she lifted her head up and kissed my forehead. I loved being loved by khala jaan. If I had to sacrifice my wishes, than so be it! It makes khala jaan happy.

What did you think of when reading the title of the chapter 😂?

Please read outro:

Please vote and comment. We need to get to 35 votes for the next chap.

I swear when you guys vote it makes my day and makes me want to keep writing. And when I read your "Pls update" comments my heart melts and my mind pushes me to write and write and update faster.

And thank you so much for 3k reads