29|| Engaged

"You know we just skipped class!", I yelled at him as I realized how we completely forgot about class.

"It was worth it", he said still gazing into my eyes. Was he drunk or what?

Suddenly, the bell rang indicating the day was over.

"I gottago!", I said and left. Saahir wasn't harmful anymore, so I didn't really worry about anything.

Muskaan

I went home and took a long shower. I was recalling Saahirs clown like face. He was such an idiot!

I came out of the shower, as I saw khala jaan in my room. I smiled at her.

"I wanted to tell you something", she said nervously.

"Muskaan woh... Muzhir's parents are coming in an hour. They want to put the ring, so that everything is final. But the marriage will be in 2-3 years", she said as a lone tear escaped my cheeks.

It wasn't like I liked someone else. It was just way too early for me. But then again, khala jaan too would have to keep me as a burden if I wasn't getting married anytime soon. She would retire soon. So she needed to make sure, I got married before that.

"Okay", was all I said. As she smiled back and left. She didn't have any ill intentions, she only wanted my happiness. While I wanted hers.

Deep down, I wanted them to reject me. But, I couldn't say no. Why is this world so cruel?

I didn't even put any makeup. What if Muzahir comes? I want him to reject me right away!

I wore a plain black dress that was slightly old. I put on my hijab in a manner as if, a guy just came in and I had to put on a scarf asap. I just wanted them to just change their minds, even if it required me to dress poorly.

I went down to see the elderly couple sitting. It was only them, thank God!

"Assalamualaikum", I managed to say.

"Walaikumsalaam", they both said in unision and smiled.

"You look beautiful beta. What a gorgeous bahu I will have!", that same elegant lady said.

Bahu? Wtf! And beautiful? I literally looked homeless right now! They are lying.

No. I didn't even thank them. Maybe seeing my ill manners, they would change their minds!

But they didn't! What magic did I do to them?

Khala jaan and the couple started talking and khala jaan served tea and pakoras. So traditional!

I stared at the pakoras as the couple finished all six of them. NOOO! What about me?! And who eats all the food at someone else's house?

I swear if khala jaan had made ten, they could still finish it. They liked it that much! But how did that lady maintain such a fit figure at this age if she has such a huge appetite?

I wanted to go upstairs but khala jaan looked at me wide eyed. I knew she wanted me to wait downstairs. So I did that!

And suddenly khala jaan started calling me. I went up to her as I realized the ring was on that auntys hand.

Khala jaan looked at me pointing towards the ring to go forward. I did that and that lady put on that ring on my ring finger.

This was it! I was officially engaged!

Khala jaan

My Muskaan was now engaged! A lone tear escaped my cheeks, both in sorrow and happiness.

I looked at the shiny ring on Muskaans finger and smiled.

She was the same Muskaan who had come to me, abandoned by the world, four and a half years ago. And look at her now, she was going to one of the best universities in Canada. She was an independent lady, and a future business woman. And now that her rishta was fixed, I could do nothing but be happy. My Muskaan did it all! She fighted the world, and now she was above all. Ma Sha Allah!

Mr and Mrs. Rehman, future in-laws of Muskaan, had left now. And Muskaan went up to her room because she was probably too tired.

I went upstairs to hear voices of sobbing. It was Muskaan. She was crying? Was she not happy? Did she feel forced? But, I told her she had the choice... I wasn't forcing her! Or was I?

I quickly went into her room, as she started wiping her tears.

"Muskaan are you not happy? I didn't mean to force you. Muskaan, if you want, we can break this engagement. Nothing, yet is decided! You're only engaged!", I said as I held her hand and she stopped crying.

"Khala noo... We are not breaking this engagement! I was only crying because I don't want to leave you", she was clearly lying.

As soon as I opened my mouth to say something she cut me off, "I am not breaking this engagement khala, what will people say? Plus, I don't like anyone else so it really doesn't bother me"

"But-"

"No buts, you said the marriage will be after 2-3 years so don't worry. I will probably like that guy, Mohammad I mean Muzahir, or even fall in love with him. So don't worry!", she said.

"Muzhir not Muzahir... you don't even know his name. So-", she cut me off again.

"Khala I don't want to. Thats it!", she said and I nodded.

Y'all hate Muskaan for her stupid decisions I know!