Three

Living by the water is the best thing ever.

The perimeter sensor that was installed by Porter is beeping every three minutes with every movement in the woods. I stayed awake, my gun under the pillow and had to wake up every three minutes to check, just in case there was really someone breaking in. Submerging myself in the cold and salty water, watching as the sunrises. The cold seeping into my pores, relaxing all my muscles and nerves. My first night in my new house was torturous.

So unreal. My new house.

Never ever thought I could actually settle down in a quiet and nice place. Just have to fix the damn perimeter sensor, and I will be all good. Allowing the water to fully consumed me, closing my eyes and enjoying the peacefulness in the water.

I wonder if Roman is doing okay. I wonder if Grayson Carter is still looking for me or he had lost interest. I wonder if Roman will find the note and finally look for me.

I wonder...

If that night, I listened to Grayson Carter to pick up my father's last phone call to me, use this chance to tell them I love them, maybe I won't have so much regrets. Grayson Carter told me to pick up the phone and tell my father that I am never going to go back home. As the captain of New York Police Department, my father will definitely find out what happened and they will still get involved in this.

When I refused to pick up the phone, Grayson Carter hung up and shrugged, "Well, even if you did pick up, they will still be dead,"

Then I realized, Grayson Carter had his men inside my house. He was playing a game with me to see if I will pick up the phone. If I did, my family will still be dead. If I did not, I will still get the same result. The lights in me, dimmed a little bit more when Grayson Carter switched on the loudspeaker and let me hear the death of my family.

I surfaced from the water, catching a lungful of air and coughed when I took in too much. I swam back to the shore, grabbed my stuff and headed back to the road towards my house. Then I heard a whine.

A faint whining sound coming from the bushes. I grabbed the gun in my bag and pointed at the bushes. Another whine, sounded more of a painful sound. I lowered my gun and saw a pair of doleful blue eyes staring at me by the bushes, dragging its limp hind leg towards the shore.

His doleful eyes turned caution when I started to approach him, "What happened to you, big guy?"

He grunted and finally gave up, dropping down to the ground, his face looking right at me.

I grabbed a bottle in my bag and helped him up to drink. He lapped at the water like he hasn't had a drop for weeks. He finished the entire bottle and gave me a look, as if he was asking if I got more of it.

"I'm sorry," I said, "That is all I have. We need to get you help,"

I tried to carry him up and was shocked when he weigh so little in his size. He cries out in pain, hitting a nerve in my heart. I hurried my way through the stones, making sure I don't make any mistakes and drop the dog. I can't possibly head back to my place and grab my car. In front of me was two options, I can go the longer route to get back to my place, grab my car and send the dog to the Vet or I can head to the shorter way, ask for Porter's help, take us to the vet.

A painful whine asking me to hurry up and make up my mind. So I choose the second option. I hurried to Porter's back door and used my leg to knock on his glass door, so hard  that I was afraid that it might break and shattered into pieces. I kept knocking and knocking until Porter got down from the second floor with a gun in his hand. When he saw me and the dog in my arms, he frowned and opened his balcony door, "What the hell?"