Nine

The rest left Roman and I alone by the garden of the facility, facing the mountain and lake. Roman's hand were shaking and I held onto it, "How are you?"

Roman let out a soft chuckled, "Everything is fine. Except for my legs,"

I held back my tears and said, "What happened? Did he do that to you?"

"Grayson Carter? no," Roman said, looking as if he is used to telling his story, "It was one of his men. I have forgotten his name. After I got shot down, they brought me to their black site. Grayson came by and tortured me to get your information out. I didn't give it to them. You know how Navy Seals will trained us not to bend even when we are being tortured?"

I nodded.

He continued, "I kept hanging on. The thought of you still alive out there, kept me going. To the point where his men couldn't handle me anymore. In order to get rid of me, they wanted to torture me to the point that I will just give up and die,"

I gasped and held his hand tighter, I cannot cry. I cannot break down.

"They couldn't find you. I was so damn happy when Grayson came down again, pissed off. He was beating the shit out of me. Venting his anger at me. When he left, his men got instruction to remove my body parts one by one."

I shook my head, "No, stop,"

Roman squeezed my hand, "Anyway, the blood loss causes the lack of oxygen and blood flow to my brain. I went into coma for 4 years, apparently. And when I woke up, the first thing I asked for was you,"

"Commander Howard told me," I said, "I was in Thailand, then Korea, Japan, Seattle and I finally settled down here."

"The cove," A smile appeared on his face, "Did you bought the cove down?"

"Apparently the house is haunted, so the price was attractively low. I had to buy it,"

Roman smiled, "Must be the guys who spread the rumours. I am so glad to see you, Blaire. Or should I call you Amelia?"

"I'm using Amelia now," I said, "I don't intend to change back to my old name,"

"I like the name Amelia better anyway,"

I rolled my eyes and smiled, "Of course, you gave me that name,"

He laughed and I am marvelling at the fact that we are both sitting by the garden, feeling free from Grayson Carter. I have never thought we will see each other again.

"Porter and Damien," I said, "The two guys you saw just now?"

Roman nodded, "Porter was my Lieutenant before he retired after the accident. Commander Damien Rowland introduced himself this morning as his brother-in-law. Porter lives next to your house. Both of you spend more time with each other. He is a very dependable person. Is that why you were holding hands when you entered the room?"

"You could have just asked me if we were together. You don't have to break it down like that," I teased. Roman laughed, "I don't want to sound creepy,"

"You look creepy enough, Ro," I sighed and took his shaky hands, "Are you cleaned from drugs?"

He sighed, "They brief you, didn't they?"

I nodded and both of us said it together, "Standard procedures," and burst out laughing.

Roman smiled, "I am so happy to see you happy,"

"Ro," I started, "commander Howard said he brought up the prosthetics and you straight up refused. Why?"

"What do you mean why? I have no legs which means I get the handicap privilege and I get people to serve me. I am enjoying it,"