Chapter 8

(Mason's POV)

"Kyle, man, when are you going to be here?" I asked my brother, my phone clutched tightly in my hand. He was supposed to arrive fifteen minutes ago. I'm going to be late to meet Nikki.

"Will you chill out Mase? I'm at baggage claim now. I'll be out in less than ten minutes."

I sighed, hanging up without saying anything else, leaning back against my car, my arms crossed over my chest. I tipped my head back so I could look up at the sky above, letting out a heavy sigh.

Somewhere inside I knew I was being impatient and unreasonable. Delays happen. I understand that and I know for a fact that Nikki will understand that, too. I tapped out a quick message to her on my iPhone.

My brother's flight ran late. I'll be there to meet you as soon as I can. I've gotta dump him off at my place and then I'm leaving to come to you.

I sent the message to her phone, huffing out a breath. Come on, Kyle. Get the lead out of your ass.

I heard my phone ping, announcing the arrival of a text. I unlocked my phone and smiled when I saw Nikki had responded.

No sweat, babe. You're the only hot date on my calendar tonight. Just keep me posted.

I chuckled at her cheeky reply, shaking my head. I really am one lucky bastard. The past few weeks have been nothing short of magical. Yeah, I know, I sound like a chick again. Sue a guy for being happy.

Nikki and I have been on several dates, everything ranging from your typical dinner dates at a fancy restaurant to theme parks and all the other tourist traps that Nikki has wanted to check out. Being from Chicago, she has been wanting to experience all the things that Orlando has to offer. And I had no intention of not delivering.

I was just about to begin pacing when Kyle finally emerged from the airport. His large suitcase was rolling along behind him as he walked up to me. I stepped forward and wrapped an arm around him, giving him a quick hug.

"Good to see you, kid."

Kyle rolled his eyes, "I'm not much younger than you, Mason. Plus, I'm an adult now."

"Yeah, yeah. Sure, you are. Once you've been on your own in the real world, get back to me."

I popped open my trunk and Kyle threw his bag in. I closed the trunk lid and made my way around to the driver's seat. I shoved the key into the ignition, turning it and listening to the engine roar to life before coming back down to a soft purr.

Kyle got in on the passenger's side and buckled up. "Hey, it's not my fault that mom and dad don't pay your way anymore. Don't take it out on me."

I sighed heavily. Kyle was right. He's not the reason I'm the black sheep. "Sorry." I muttered.

I checked over my left shoulder before pulling out into the lane of traffic that would lead away from the airport. "So how was your flight?"

Kyle scoffed, propping one foot up onto my dash. "Longer than it was supposed to be. We had to divert to avoid some weather. That's some bullshit, right? An hour flight from Louisiana took almost two. I'm glad to be back on solid ground. You know how much I hate flying."

I did know. Kyle has hated flying since we were little kids. One cross country flight had him hiding underneath our dad's legs the turbulence was so bad. He had convinced himself we were all going to die in a fiery crash. Ever since he only flies when absolutely necessary. Or when I buy him a ticket. What can I say? I'm an evil older brother sometimes.