Chapter 9

(Theo's POV)

It was about forty-five minutes later when I heard Addy's almost panicked voice, "Theo? Nikki?"

I looked up at her with a barely there smile. Nikki was asleep against my shoulder, her small body resting against my side.

"Over here, Addy." I called softly, my tired eyes meeting her concerned ones. She sat down next to me, taking my free hand and glancing worriedly at Nikki.

"Have you heard anything about Mason?" Her eyes drifted up from her sleeping best friend to my face, her eyes full of worry.

I shook my head, "No, nothing yet. He's still in surgery."

She sighed, squeezing my hand gently. "He has to be okay, Theo. This would destroy Nikki. I know she's been playing it cool but I'm positive she's fallen for him." She shook her head, "Not to mention, it would be hard for you, without a doubt."

My phone rang before I could respond. Saved by the ringtone.

I checked the caller ID and saw that Kyle was calling. Shit, I forgot he was in town. "Hey, Kyle."

"I haven't been able to get ahold of Mason and he's not home, have you heard from him?"

Kyle's concern is palpable through the phone and I feel like a shit for not calling him. "Yeah, I know he's not there. I'm sorry, I should have called you... Mason's been in an accident."

"WHAT?!" Kyle shrieked, nearly blowing out my eardrum in the process.

"Calm down, man." I interjected quickly, before he really did render me deaf. "I'll send you an Uber, okay? Should be there in less than ten minutes. Lock up and wait outside. I'll see you soon, bro. Bye."

I let out a heavy sigh after hanging up before he could respond, feeling even more weary than before. Addy rubbed the back of my hand with her thumb, drawing soothing circles on my skin. I set up Kyle's Uber before closing my eyes. We sat in the relative silence, waiting for news on Mason. I was happy to receive those moments of peace.

Kyle arrived before we would get any news, his voice loud as he spotted us in the waiting room. "Theo! Have you heard anything?!"

"No, but I think everyone in the entire hospital heard you just now. Hell, maybe even the entire city."

Kyle took a seat across from us, ignoring my gibe, his foot already tapping incessantly, "How long has he been in surgery?"

"I don't know. At least an hour? Going on two I think."

Kyle sighed, running his fingers through his already messy brown hair as he sat back in the chair. "What's taking so long? He's got to be okay..."

I could see the fear as his brown eyes, the same color as his brother's, met my eyes. As scared as I was, it has to be so much worse for Kyle. "He's Mason. No doubt he'll be just fine, kid. Don't even think otherwise. He'll be back on his feet and in the gym before we know it."

Kyle nodded, rubbing the back of his neck. His eyes scanned the room and he finally noticed Addy sitting on my right side. "Okay, who are you?"

His abrupt question made Addy stiffen. I cracked a small smile, "This is Addison. She's Nikki's best friend and we have been seeing each other."

Kyle quirked an eyebrow, "Hold up... you have been with a chick more than once?"

His incredulous words made Addy frown, "And what the hell is wrong with that?"

I hid my amusement, deciding to let this play out. May as well pass some time with something besides worrying about Mason.

"I... I never said there was anything wrong with it. I mean, you're hot so any guy would be lucky to be with you. I'm just surprised because of Theo's manwhore tendencies, that's all."