Chapter 33

I wouldn't consider many things in this world pure evil. Even though I'm a pessimist, and I had a hard time finding the good in things, there are very little things I would describe as completely and without a doubt evil. 

But ice skating is one of those things. 

After falling on my butt so hard I almost broke it twice, and then completely face planting into the hard and cold ice, I was about ready to call it a day. 

But Dallas, of course, urged me to give it one more try. So I did. And instead of just ungracefully falling on my own, I pulled Dallas down with me. 

Or more specifically, on me. 

"Good lord, you weigh like a million pounds." I complained bitterly, kicking and pushing to get him off of me. Caleb decided to be absolutely no help and had to literally sit down because he was laughing so hard. 

"Sorry." Dallas apologized, looking like he was enjoying the situation a lot more than me based on the smile that covered his face. He eventually got up on his own two feet and offered a hand, hoisting me up also. He helped me gain my balance before he let go. 

I slowly made my way over the edge of the pond. Dallas was trying to inconspicuously skate close by in case I needed his help, but he was actually quite obvious. Needless to say, I felt relieved when I finally made it off the ice and plopped down on the bench. 

Dallas and Caleb skated for at least another 15 minutes, talking and laughing with each other while I sat on the bench, waiting for them. I was considering trekking back to the house on my own, but before I could leave they decided to call it quits, coming over to join me on the bench. 

"We should probably get back. Grandma will kill us if we aren't back in time to help with dinner." Caleb joked, getting a chuckle from both of us. 

"It's not like you ever actually help." I quipped, standing to my feet, skates in hand. 

"True." Caleb agreed, shrugging his shoulders. "I think my excuse this year will be that I have to keep Dallas entertained." 

"Well I can help out with dinner if you guys need it." Dallas offered, tugging his tan boots back on. I couldn't help but smile. 

"Unlike some people," I paused, leaning forward to glare at Caleb. "Dallas is actually willing to help instead of come up with a lame excuse for being lazy." 

"I'm not lazy." Caleb argued, shaking his head. "I just enjoy doing nothing." 

"I'm pretty sure if you told Grandma that she'd just smack you upside the head." I replied, the image of my grandma knocking some sense into my idiotic cousin bringing a smile to my face. Caleb snorted, a carefree grin on my face. 

"I have no doubt she will. That's why I'm sticking to my lame excuses she falls for every year." 

<><>

"No." My grandma said firmly, gripping a knife in her hand while she chopped carrots. I was taking a drink of water when she spoke, and I was so surprised I almost spewed it everywhere. Judging by the look on Caleb's face, he seemed just as shocked. 

"Um, what?" He asked, his eyebrows scrunched together in confusion. 

"I said no. As in no, you aren't getting out of helping with Christmas Eve dinner this year. Now put those hands of yours to use and mash those potatoes over there for me." 

"This is incredible." I whispered to Dallas, who was currently keeping an eye on the gravy that was on the stove top. "He literally always gets out of it."