Chapter One: Good and Bad News

New York City

1926

Late August

It was a chilly, fall-like day in late August and a cool breeze was whipping its way down the street and up onto our large, wrap around porch. I shivered and wrapped my shawl more tightly around my shoulders. I was sitting on our white swing attached to the porch ceiling at the end closest to our front door reading silently until I heard screaming and laughter coming from behind me.

I sighed and rolled my eyes as I saw and heard my little sister, Maggie, come flying around the side of our house chasing Theodore, our neighbor's child who everyone affectionately called Teddy.

Maggie; Margret was her actual given name, but everyone started to call her by her nickname instead at her request; was trying to keep up with Teddy, but he was a year older and already seemed to be quite mature for his age. Well he was more physically mature anyway, I noted because he acted just like my sister.

Maggie was nine and was quite the opposite from me. She was more stuck up and outspoken. I preferred to keep to myself, was more shy, and was as our mother put it 'more lady-like'. Maggie would rather be running around outside, playing with the neighborhood children, and chasing boys while I would read or write letters to my friends from school.

"Maggie," I called out from what used to be a quiet place, "Don't ruin another dress or Momma will give you another talking to."

Maggie just ignored me as she continued to chase Teddy around our giant, maple tree in the front yard.

The sight of the tree reminded me of my own childhood. I was seventeen and despite my own shyness I would love to see the wide world and travel. I was the same way when I was younger; I would explore our neighborhood with Maggie or my friends. I would sit under the maple tree and read Maggie stories, or I tried to read to her; she had no patience for books. I sighed, those were simpler times it seemed.

I closed my book and my eyes and just sat on the swing, slightly rocking it back and forth, enjoying the breeze even though it was cold. Then I could smell the scent of freshly baked, apple pie coming through the open windows. I opened my eyes.

"I forgot Momma was making pie today," I thought as I hopped off the swing.

"Maggie, the pie is done!" I called to my sister.

Maggie didn't need to be told twice as she came flying up onto the porch with Teddy right behind her. Both her and Teddy stood there panting and out of breath.

"Momma's not going to be happy," I said as I looked at Maggie's dress that was covered in dirt, "You've ruined another dress and I don't think it's going to come clean."

Maggie let out a puff of air,

"It just happens," she shrugged.

I smiled, knowing Momma was never very angry about Maggie dirtying her clothes, she just wished my sister could be more like me so she wouldn't have to spend as much time repairing holes or attempting to wash mud out of pink, blue, purple, white, and yellow material. Our mother didn't seem to mind doing these chores despite the fact that we had maids who insisted they do the work instead.

I went into our house first, followed by Maggie with Teddy, who was humming a happy tune, bringing up the rear. I turned the corner into our kitchen to see Momma sitting an apple pie onto a hand towel laid on the counter. We had cooks as well to make meals, but Momma loved to bake and cook and so the cooks were never around much, except for on holidays.

"You should have reminded me you were making the pie today," I told Momma, "And I would have helped."

Momma smiled at me as she dusted flour off her dress sleeves.