35

It's silent between the two of them before Malia decides to break it. "Scott told us what happened."

Phoenix doesn't say anything.

"I'm sorry about Ellie."

"It's not your fault."

"It kinda is."

"No, it's not. Ellie... she's... She believes in something because of the actions of one werewolf. It's not your fault."

"It's not yours either."

"I should've stayed at home. I should've stayed with her. I should've called her out everytime she made a remark."

"Ellie is not your responsibility, Phoenix."

"She's my sister. She's doing this because she wants to protect me. Because she doesn't want me to end up like... like them."

"You can't blame yourself for things you can't control and you're not going to end up like them."

Phoenix is silent again.

Malia doesn't know what to say next. She's still not entirely sure why she's here. Maybe it's because Phoenix needs someone and she can't stay mad at him forever. Maybe it's because this situation that they're in now, Ellie's plans and the discovery of the bombs, has made them both realize that it's not about them or the way they feel about each other. This is much bigger than the both of them.

"What are you thinking?" She asks softly.

"How much I wish I hated her."

"Phoenix –"

"She's about to destroy so many lives because of some sick, twisted belief and I wish I hated her, Malia. I really do. I wish I fucking hated her but for some goddamn reason... I don't."

Malia thinks of her own father, the notorious Peter Hale who was absent from her life, who's killed and who almost made her kill for his own selfish reasons. "I know."

"Why don't I hate her?"

"Because she's still your family. And no matter how bad they are or how much you wish you hated them, they'll always be family."

Phoenix shakes his head. "That's fucked up."

"This entire situation is."

It's then that Phoenix finally gathers the courage to look at her. Surprisngly, looking at her now doesn't hurt as much as it used to. Maybe because thinking about Ellie has taken that spot.