Chapter 7: Night Off

Dick Grayson

"What?" I shrugged and spun around in the desk chair.

"Yeah. Catalina Kyle, new kid." Bruce's frown deepened.

"Kyle?" I nodded. "Did she say anything about her family?" I stopped spinning for a minute then nodded.

"Yeah. She mentioned her mom a couple of times but not much other then that." He scowled and shot a look at Alfred. "Wait," I stopped spinning and sat up straight. "You don't think... Selina Kyle?" I asked. He shook his head.

"I don't know." Alfred sighed.

"Shall I invite Miss. Kyle to dinner tomorrow, Master Bruce?" Bruce shot him a sharp look but then sighed.

"Sure." He got up and headed for the staircase that led up to the grandfather clock in the study. "I have to go help Harvey again tonight so I'm heading out." Alfred and I muttered goodbyes. Alfred turned to me as soon as we heard the grandfather clock sliding back into place.

"So how is Miss. Kyle?" I frowned.

"Selina?" I shrugged. "I dunno. Never meet her." He rolled his eyes.

"No the younger Miss. Kyle. I heard about the attack on the school." My eyebrows shot up.

"Oh, yeah, Catalina. She's fine. She was a little dizzy cause she got hit with a table but she held her own. It's weird." I said, standing up and heading for the staircase with Alfred close behind. "She was the reason he left. She call him that weird name and then told him the school was off limits. After that he left." Alfred waited till we were both in the study again before responding.

"Was today her first day?" I shook my head.

"No, yesterday." He nodded.

"Interesting. You have the night off, Master Grayson. Miss Gordon will be here any minute to take your place." I winced.

"Don't say it like that, Alfred. That makes it sound like I'm being replaced." He gave a faint smile.

"Sorry, Master Grayson. You should go out and enjoy your night off. You don't get many of them." Then he left me alone in the study. Finally I went and got my motorcycle and helmet. I had been cruising around Gotham for a while, enjoying the freedom when I spotted something. Someone breaking into an apartment. I swerved to a stop and looked up through my tinted visor to get a better look. No, it wasn't someone breaking in. It was someone sneaking out. Catalina eased the rest of her body out of the window and onto the fire escape. Then she slid the window shut and started climbing up the rickety ladder. Interested, I parked my motorcycle and headed inside to use the elevator. She was sitting on the edge of the roof, staring at the sunset over gotham.

"Weird place to hang out after school." I called and she jumped. Her head spun around and she spotted me.

"Dick!" She hissed. "You scared me!" I smirked and walked across the roof to sit next to her.

"Sorry." She glared at me for a few more moments then turned back to the skyline. "What are you doing up here?" She gave me a tired smile.

"My aunts came over." My eyebrow rose and she laughed. "They are a handful and I'm a little tired after this morning." I nodded.

"Understandable. How are you after that?" She grinned and put a hand on her lower back.

"Other then being hit with a table? Peachy." I bumped her shoulder with mine.

"You seemed ok during the attack." She looked down at her hands.

"Yeah. I have a weirdly level head during crises."

"Thats cool. My da-" I swallowed then kept going. "My adopted dad is like that." Her lips quirked and she looked over at me.

"Your adopted dad?" I nodded.

"Bruce Wayne." She whistled and her eyebrows shot up.

"Dammnn! Way to go, Little Orphan Annie." I smirked.

"Thanks a lot." She threw her hands up in defense.

"Hey! If you're going to get adopted, that's the way to go! That's like..." She paused, messing with one of the gold rings on her hand as she thought of her next words. "A one in a zabillion shot. How the hell did you pull that off?"

"He watched me watch my parents die." Her face fell.

"Oh my gods, I'm sorry." I shrugged.

"You're right. I got lucky. Bruce felt sorry for me." A flicker of suspicion flew across her face but then her grin was back. I glanced over at her. "What?" Her grin widened. "What you're freaking me out!?!"

"What's your allowance like?"

"Oh come on!!" She busted out laughing and I joined in.