Chapter 1: Newbie

It was a normal day in Riverdale, or as normal an average day in an asylum can get. It was a pleasant day, the outside temperature being nearly perfect. It was warm and cozy with a slight cool breeze that swam through the air every so often. Outside was completely different than what it was inside the artificially lit building that was known as Mazedale Asylum. Outside the facility seemed alive and colorful while inside it seemed to always be stuck at sixty degrees and was restricted to the color scheme of white and gray.

It was merely 11:32 a.m. and already there was a new patient being guided through the halls of the large building. The patient had short hair that fell gently at her shoulders, hovering just abover her shirt. Her hair was artificially dyed a gorgeous orange that matched wonderfully to her grey toned eyes. Her skin was pale and nearly flawless. The only sign of abuse that showed on her skin was the light purple color of a bruise where an I.V. had been in her wrist.

The coldness of the white marble floor seeped through her black cotton ankle socks as she walked with no shoes down the hall. In her arms she cradled a wonderfully folded sheet and blanket, both being completely white. Her pillow rested on top of the pile along with a set of all black clothes that matched the ones she wore currently. The patient, all in all, looked innocent, wearing a slight grin on her face through the whole process but it was her mind that made her truly dangerous.

"This is your room. You will be provided with dental, feminine and body hygiene products when needed. You're not to have anything sharp in this room except a pencil, if any contraband is found, it will be confiscated and followed by consequences. Lunch is at 11:30, till then you are to remain in your room until we get your blood samples and you get doctors authorization. Are there any further questions?" the guard spoke. His voice was monotone with a slight southern accent that could only be noticed when being concentrated on. The patient entered the room slowly, turning to look at the guard as he spoke. She didn't seem to reply with words but rather a nod of the head and a polite grin. The guard nodded back and turned to walk back down the hall to return to whatever duty he was assigned.

Looking around the room once more, she gently put down the folded items that she cradled in her arms. Grabbing her change of clothes, she made her way to the dresser, opening the drawers to set the clothes in. Writing could be seen on the inside of each drawer, some of them nice and some of them gruesome. Some writings told short stories of paranoia and some just listed olf phone numbers that most likey didn't even work anymore.

As she put away her clothes she knew this wouldn't be like home, and that was a good thing.

Across the hall, in cell 321 sat another patient. His whole room dark, the only light was the bit seeping through the open doorway from the hallway. On his bed the man sat, watching the girl get adjusted to her new home. His slight smile and curly black hair nor his slender body could be seen due to the lack of light.

The man waited just long enough for the hall monitoring guard to step several feet away from their cell-like rooms.

The girl was startled by the raspy voice that came from the dark room just across the hall. It spoke with harmony, "A newbie?"

A moment of silence filled the hallway  as the girl slowly walked to the doorway, trying to pin-point where the voice resignated.

"Why are you here?" he asked chuckling. Usually, people who came to the asylum didn't look so innocent. Chuckling once more, he took back the question.

"Never mind you don't have to tell me."

The girl simply stood there, a gentle smile that complimented her beauty reappearing on her lips as the male patient came into the small bit of light that leaked into the doorway.