Chapter 8: Trance

Not being able to track Richie within the groups of patients that scattered the common area, Sylvia made her way to the only other place she figured he'd be.

Richard sat in his cell and had been since she went into Cara's office. His cell room lights were off and his eyes stared straight at the wall in front him as he sat on his bed, resting his back on the opposing wall. Ever since earlier he hadn't been able to fully shake off the sight of Sylvia's crimson blood. The image played through his head like a constant film circling, teasing his craving. As Sylvia walked upon the entrance of Richard's cell she froze at the sight of a completely stiff, tense Richie.

To her, he seemed to have nearly no emotion as he stared at the wall.

Suddenly, just as Sylvia took her first step on the cold marble floor to head back to the commons, a faint voice could be heard coming from Richard. The voice caught Sylvia's attention, causing her to turn back, looking into Richard's cell.

"Stay." Richie politely demanded in his low whispering voice.

"You want me to just stand here?" Sylvia nearly giggled out as she raised a brow.

"No..."

"But isn't it against the rules to go into another patient's cell?"

Richard turned silent once more. Sylvia simply stood outside his door.

Sylvia sat cross-legged with her head against the white wall near Richie's cell, her eyes closed and her mind at peace as she slept quietly. She was awoken by the loud sound of a man's voice announcing dinner time over the intercom. The static-like voice echoed through the narrow hallway in which Sylvia slept, waking her from her slumber.

Sylvia's eyes fluttered open. Peeking her head into Richard's cell, she saw him sleeping on his bed, now laying down instead of staring at the wall. Looking towards the common area she sneaked quietly into Richard's cell unnoticed. Slowly walking towards his limp body she reached toward him, tapping gently on his shoulder to wake him.

"W...where's that nice lady y...you brought to meet us yesterday?" Aeron asked Richard as his voice shook with constant anxiety. Richard ignored the seemingly young boy. Jester's eyes slowly moved from his Styrofoam plate to Richard as he lifted a brow.

"R...rich..chie." Aeron's voice asked innocently, again getting ignored. A slight frown leaked onto his lips as he looked down and fidgeted with his cold pale hands.

Jester looked at Aeron then quickly returned his attention to Richard.

"Like, two, maybe three months ago." Jesters responded.

"No." Jester immediately demanded before Richard could even move his attention to Aeron. Aeron slowly pulled his sleeve back down and resumed to fiddling with his fingers.

"I'll get you some more soon okay?" Jester told Richard just before noticing Sylvia heading their way, plate in hand. Letting out a flirtatious whistle, Jester stared straight at Sylvia who sat between Richard and Aeron.

"So chica, when you gonna come visit max?" Jester flirted as a perverted grin crept onto his face.

"Never." Robert murmured to himself knowing Sylvia wasn't interested in anyone.

"So gentlemen, how was your day?" Sylvia asked everyone. Jack continued eating, looking up at Sylvia then back down to his food.

"When we get back to our wing can you color with me?" Aeron asked Sylvia. Sylvia smiled, though the boy was seventeen, his short petite body and innocent voice made him seem much younger.

"Of course." She replied gently, then moving her attention to her plate, examining the semi-cold potato wedges, under seasoned steamed broccoli, and overcooked hamburger that rested between two stale buns. Making a face that showed disgust, Sylvia looked around the table. "They don't have any ketchup?" she asked.

all the desirables. They sold everything from sweets and edibles to seasoning packets and pills. You ask them, they have it.

Smiling pervertedly, Jester focused on Sylvia who sat across from him as her attention remained on Jack.

"How about we let her pass on this one, it's something small, not to mention, she's only been here a day, we don't wanna scare away yet." Jester suggested to Jack, his eyes remaining on Sylvia who only looked back at him when he spoke.

Sylvia squeezed two of the packets into a small hill that sat in the corner square of her divided plate. "Anyone want this?" Sylvia asked, pointing to her burger. Jester immediately jumped up to grab it, snatching it quickly off of her plate and taking a bite.

Richard sat next to Sylvia, his arms crossed and resting on the table as his head leaned onto them. "Is he okay?" Sylvia asked.

Jester and Jack looked at each other then at Sylvia.

"He's fine. Just not feeling too good. The meds they put him on got him a little loopy." Jester said. Everyone else at the table knew he was lying, it was just an excuse to hide Richie's true problem.

It wasn't long before Dinner was over. As Richard tiredly guided his way to his cell, Sylvia walked alongside Aeron to the commons. It reeked of old crayons and freshly printed paper.

"Where'd you get those from?" Sylvia asked in an almost motherly voice. The young boy reminded her of her younger brother before he had passed.

"May I color this one?" Sylvia asked respectfully as she held the coloring book up to Aeron showing him the page. Aeron grinned slightly.

"You can use mine." Aeron offered, pushing his large box of crayons to her.