Chapter Nine

Michael tried to ignore the pulling in his chest. His mind was still reeling from everything Athena had said. He had begun to realize that he was merely a pawn in a much larger game. The memories she spoke of seemed somehow familiar to him. He wondered why he had never known them before now. Nevertheless, he was in awe of this woman.

He found himself in the presence of a goddess. Though he knew what she said to be true – that there was only one God – he still felt humbled by this new information. She was so beautiful and graceful, the term suited her. He had gone to see Gabriel to confirm that she was telling the truth about helping him. She had proven herself and much more. She had come clean about who she was and the nature of her quarrel with Uriel.

He had told himself he would beg for her forgiveness. He was a man of his word. What she had told him alone was enough to make him fall to his knees. So, he did.

Athena gasped when he knelt before her, taking both her hands in his. She drew her brows together and her honey eyes burned with her curiosity. He brought her hands to his lips and placed a kiss to each one. He felt her skin warm at his touch and knew she was flushed. This did nothing to tamp down his desire for her.

"My deepest apologies, my lady, for the way I treated you before. Though I don't understand the vision you showed me, I know you were not trying to manipulate me. Forgive me."

Gabriel scoffed from the corner of the room and Michael shot him a deadly glare. He raised his hands in surrender but his expression was smug. Athena drew his attention back to her when she knelt before him and smiled.

"I forgive you, Saint Michael. And I will explain what it is that I showed you."

His heart thudded in his chest when her warm breath washed over him. He wanted to pull her against him and kiss her with fervency. His fantasies were interrupted when Gabriel spoke.

"I hate to break up this very romantic moment," he pushed himself off the wall and pulled Amoura against him, "but what does any of this have to do with us? How is it that we're in danger?"

Athena pulled Michael to a stand with her and his heart soared when she held his hand and remained by his side. He knew the risk of opening his heart to her, but it came too easily for him. Her tiny hand in his was a simple gesture – innocent even – but it meant more to him than she could possibly know. She looked up at him and smiled, and as she did her hand squeezed his. A silent reassurance. She was on his side.

"You misunderstood the vision I showed you," she said, and then turned to give her attention to the other two people in the room. "I have foreseen a child. I was showing Michael a vision of his future, and I'll admit the way it played out almost made it seem as though the child would be his."

"Impossible," Gabriel said, taking a step toward her as his interest was piqued. Athena held up a hand to silence him and Michael's heart swelled with pride. She was not intimated by anything. Even when he had tried to scare her she had held her ground. She was strong and it called to his most primitive male instincts.

"Not impossible," she continued, "but the child I foresaw was not his. It was yours."

Gabriel staggered back as though her words had just struck him like a blow to the chest. He looked down at Amoura where he held her against his side, and then up again.

"Angels cannot procreate. We can't – "

"If you recall my story," Athena interjected, "you will remember that I said the angels were reproducing with their immortal females. It is true, that angels can no longer procreate with mortals, as the result of this would be the Nephilim. However, you can procreate with your destined female. Your immortal mate." She gestured toward Amoura with her free hand.