Chapter Nineteen

The carriage jolted, pulling Michael from sleep. Looking around, he realized they had arrived at the apex of two intersecting rivers. They must have been at the rendezvous point.

Glancing down, he took in the sight of Athena, sleeping soundly on his chest. Her arms hugged his torso and her cheek pressed into his breastbone. The warmth of her naked body against his nearly stirred his cock to life.

There was no time to indulge. Gabriel and Amoura would be somewhere nearby. He called forth their clothes, concealing their nudity before sending the blanket away. Pushing himself up, he gently sat upright, keeping Athena's head resting against his shoulder when he changed positions.

She stirred, breathing in deeply before yawning – slowly coming into consciousness. Their eyes met, her face melting instantly at the sight of him.

"Hi," she whispered, rubbing sleep from her eyes.

"Hey," he replied, leaning forward to plant a chaste kiss on her full lips. "I think we're here."

Her eyes widened a fraction and she looked around them, noticing the rivers up ahead. "Can you contact Gabriel? I hope they've arrived safely..." squinting her eyes, she struggled to make them out through the mist and fog that rose from the tepid waters.

Michael sensed how weakened she was since summoning the carriage. He suspected she couldn't afford to use much more of her power without putting herself at risk. He could almost scent mortality dancing on the edge of her essence. Her power barely hummed on his senses, drastically lessened over the last hour.

Closing his eyes, he searched for his connection to Gabriel. We're here.

So are we.

He rolled his eyes, looking around him but seeing nothing but the endless stretch of black sand and damp air. I don't see you.

Someone chuckled from beside the carriage, making Michael jump out of his skin. Gabriel and Amoura shimmered into existence before his eyes, leaving the former general in a state of shock.

"What in Heaven's name...how did you conceal yourself from us?" He knew with certainty that an angel's veil could only hide them from mortals.

Gabriel shrugged, pulling his wife into his side and puffing his chest out in pride. "I didn't do a thing, it was all Amoura. Turns out she's unlocked some pretty neat abilities since I knocked her up."

"Hey," his mate protested, elbowing him in the side, "don't call it that. We're expecting, you barbarian."

Gabriel laughed aloud, kissing her forehead affectionately. "I know, baby." He returned his attention to Michael and Athena, who remained silent beside him. "We're not entirely sure, but it seems she has some new maternal powers that allow her to conceal us even from immortals. But it doesn't last very long, and it drains her energy. We saw the carriage approaching from a distance and decided to take the safe route and hide."

"Good thinking," Athena praised, brushing past Michael as she exited the chariot. The two women embraced, and it was then that Michael noticed the dramatic change in Amoura's appearance.

"Holy belly," he blurted, staring at the bulge beneath her dress, "what on Earth happened?"

Gabriel shot him a glare full of warning. "Tread carefully, Saint Michael," he said through gritted teeth. "I told you the pregnancy advanced. This is why we needed to move quickly. She's well into her third trimester now."

"My apologies," the angel murmured, feeling his face heat in shame, "I didn't mean to insult her, I'm just surprised she's so far along. When you said advanced, I assumed perhaps by a few weeks, I didn't think she had brought the babe to term."