Chapter Twenty-Three

After escaping through the nearest portal to Earth, Michael took to the skies. He didn't even bother to veil himself from mortal eyes, no longer caring about the consequences since he knew he would meet death this day.

Not death, but close to it. No angel knew what became of him once he was returned to the light. It was said that all feelings ceased. No pain, no sorrow, but no happiness either. It was just... nothing.

If Michael were being honest with himself, feeling nothing sounded a lot better than facing the pain in his heart.

He couldn't believe Athena had betrayed him. All this time she had lied to him about his past – keeping secrets from him which he had a right more than anyone to know. Meanwhile, he suffered from the terrible memories that resurfaced in his dreams without so much as having a clue as to where they came from.

He had thought he was protecting her from himself, but she knew what he was capable of all along. She knew the terrible things he had done to her ancestors... and she kept it hidden from him. Worse than that, she had been using her power to suppress the truth all along.

She manipulated him just like everyone else. That woman managed to burrow her way into his heart and gain his trust where everyone else had failed. He didn't even trust his own superiors the way he had trusted her.

He had fallen in love with her like the fool he was.

The wind whipped around him as he beat his wings hard, cutting through the cool night air with unhinged speed. His ears pricked as an incoming whisper came through.

You have either come to your senses or lost them completely.

Michael still couldn't help the chill that ran through his spine at hearing Uriel's voice.

This is your last chance to make things right. Your comrade, Raphael, is to be charged with crimes against Heaven unless you come forward.

Taking a sharp breath, Michael sent his reply. Send a portal.

Uriel chuckled in his head. A wise decision.

A beam of heavenly light shot down from the skies, the force of the blast sending Michael careening backward through the air. He flipped around a few times before regaining control and peered into the bright pillar. There was no time to fear for his life. As far as he was concerned, his mission to protect Gabriel and Amoura was complete. In light of Athena's betrayal, there was no reason for him to stick around.

He passed through the light, feeling the heat of Heaven's energy press down on him. His powers were stripped from him the moment he arrived in the main hall, and he felt significantly weaker as gravity pulled him toward the ground.

Two soldiers awaited him at the entrance and wasted no time in apprehending him – each one taking hold of an arm and forcing him forward. He didn't resist – there was no point. He was powerless against them anyway.

They led him through the alabaster halls, the polished marble glistening all around him. Streams of sunlight poured in through the windows even though it'd just been night where he had been in the mortal realm. He was brought to the courtroom where all sentencing of angels was done.

He imagined this was the very room Gabriel and Amoura stood in several months ago – when his thoughtless actions had nearly taken everything from them. He had been so ashamed of what he'd done, so disgusted with himself for trying to take the life of another that he had disappeared that very day.

He had been a coward, and in his moment of weakness he had trusted a woman he knew nothing about.

No more.