Chapter Twelve

Excitement rippled through her when she recognized Hathor's voice. She couldn't place any memory to link her to this knowledge, but she just knew. The riddle had to be a way of letting them know that she knew they were trying to find her.

Anyone that had been raised with her mother or by her grandmother was sure to be clever. If Heaven was trying to hide her, she had found a way to reach out. She wondered what had suddenly alerted Hathor to their presence though, and since she had been asleep, assumed that it was their proximity to the Egyptian portal.

She slowed down so that she fell into step with Michael, aware that he had seriously been holding back while running. She was more than knowledgeable to the superior strength and speed that angels were gifted with. She felt her heart clench at the idea that he was holding himself back for her sake.

She didn't want to let herself get too excited though, for he had just closed himself off to her hours ago. They had been engaged in conversation, and he was asking questions she assumed were meant to bring them closer when he suddenly withdrew. She had felt cold through her veins and nearly heard the doors slam around his heart. Why had he suddenly pushed her away?

She thought he would be happy to discover that she was a virgin and that she was saving herself for her fated angel. It suddenly struck her then, as she recalled the moment he closed himself off. Could he be jealous? Did he misunderstand her statement? She thought that she was being pretty obvious, but maybe he missed all the signs. She was still too afraid to say it out loud, and now he was angry with her.

Great.

Just when they had taken a step forward in getting to know one another, they took another two steps back when she made her statement without thinking.

She slowed to a walk so she could catch her breath. Once again, she had let her excitement get the best of her. The portal's signature felt so powerful, she had assumed it was much closer. She felt foolish. For someone who was supposed to be wise, she was really making a fool of herself lately. She had a sneaking suspicion it had to do with the very delicious morsel of a male that walked alongside her.

She didn't want to waste any more time on foot and figured it was as good a time as any to use a little more of her abilities. She came to a stop and Michael followed suit. He still hadn't spoken two words to her since telling her she could rest.

"How far is it?" she asked, her face heating as she admitted she couldn't distinguish the distance. She couldn't bring herself to face him, partially because she was embarrassed by her recent behavior but mostly because she knew he was upset with her.

"Just a few miles more," he said, placing a hand on her shoulder and turning her to look at him, "what's wrong?"

She shrugged, trying to play it off as though she was just tired, but he gave her a knowing look. She wasn't fooling him at all.

"It's nothing," she said, reaching into her satchel to pull out her book.

"I've been meaning to ask about that," Michael said, gesturing toward the leather-bound pages.

"It was my grandfather's," she answered, showing him the contents of the page she was reading, "a book of spells. I've added some of my own but with all the world's knowledge taking up just about every corner of my mind, I choose not to remember them. I've written them here, though. I want to speed our trip up just a bit. If we can get to the portal in the next few minutes rather than hours, we have a better chance of getting back to Amoura and Gabriel before the child is detected."

Michael nodded in agreement but said no more. Her heart throbbed a little. Was he still upset with her? It was the last thing she wanted.

"Michael," she began, but he silenced her with a finger against her mouth.