Surprise

Surprise

Justin and I began our way down the balcony. As we got to the bottom, Justin walked away and I was left standing there. All the people around me, I didn’t know and they didn’t seem to even notice me. Suddenly, I felt a tug on my arm. Someone had me by my arm and had dragged me into a remote hallway.

“Hello” Oliver said

“Hi” I’d quickly gone breathless.

“I heard your speech. It was wonderful, how did you think of such a lovely speech so fast?”

“It just sort of… spilled out”

“I’m sorry I didn’t warn you but I didn’t even know”

“It wasn’t that bad.” It wasn’t a lie. I quite enjoyed seeing the looks on the satisfied people’s faces at the end of the speech. I was thinking this when Oliver abruptly kissed my cheek. “Is that what you dragged me out here for?” I laughed

“No, but it’s one of the reasons” I pulled a sulking face at him and he kissed my cheek again. “But seriously now, we didn’t have chance to go through the spell earlier… we were, um… otherwise involved” He gave me a lopsided smile that made him look young and showed off his perfect white teeth. I smiled back.

“I didn’t mind one bit” It was my turn to peck him on the cheek

“I’m not saying I did but you do need to learn the spell.”

“I already did and I can do it, see” I repeated the word he’d said and all the lights that were hung up in lanterns went off.

“It may just be me, but I prefer it like this”

“That was very good” He said “And it’s not just you” I felt his lips on mine, tenderly caressing them for a few moments before he told me he had to go and serve some more Champagne.

“Before you go, can I ask you a question?”

“Yes”

“I have been trying to figure this out since I first met you” I paused

“Go on”

“Well all people on the island have to be Vampire, Mermaid, Werewolf, but I can’t figure out which you are?”

“Is that a question or statement?”

“Question” I said without hesitation

“How about I come to your room tonight and explain, but brace yourself for a long story” He laughed

“Ok” a few people spoke to me

“Around 11?”

“Sure” I agreed and went back to the ballroom. When I got back I walked around and quite a few people spoke to me but I couldn’t concentrate. I’d noticed in the corner of the room was Justin and Amelia. They looked like they were having more than a chat. Justin was leaning close to her and they were talking. His face was a few inches from hers. I had to do something or someone might see. I gracefully slipped between people, making short conversations and quick exits as I went along till I reached Justin and Lia.

“Lia” I said in an extremely sweet voice “Lily wants you to read to her and insists on only you doing so” She didn’t return the smile I finished with, just huffed and said to Justin

“It won’t take long” and she exited the ballroom. Justin tried to walk past me but I moved to stand in the space he was trying to walk through.