Chapter 3: The Golden Trio

I dashed out of the library expecting to see swarms of police, flashing lights, and gawkers. Instead, I saw Luca adjusting his helmet on a sleek shiny motorcycle parked by the edge of the lot. Still gripping a stake in my hand, I threw it casually into my bag hanging half- hazardly across my shoulder.

"Listen asshole," I called to him, a bemused smile on my face.

Luca's sharp and withheld expression caused me to stop a few feet away. His electric blue eyes looked tired and faded. His slumped posture only added to the overall negative mood he exuded. In complete contrast, I felt incredibly alive. Adrenaline raced through my body and I felt as if I couldn't stand still. In an otherwise boring world, something so extraordinary as this brought out a wild side I didn't know I had.

I giggled. I'm probably delusional.

Luca's disgust was written clear across his face.

"What?" I snapped at him.

"You're fucking crazy," he told me, anger obvious in his voice.

I went to retort that I wasn't the one who had vampires chasing after me, but the sound of sirens caused both of us to look towards the road.

"Get on," Luca grumbled to me. Perking up a bit, I ran over and hopped onto the back of his bike, encircling his large farme with my arms.

The bike roared to life and Luca quickly sped away, leaving the disaster of the library in his wake. We curved gracefully through the small quiet streets of Graycott. But it didn't feel like the same weathered Graycott to me anymore. Wow, I'm turning into a cliche.

Small and tucked away in the middle of Nowhere, U.S.A., Graycott would've been a perfect place for Luca to hide. Key word "would've." So many questions raced through my head along with complete excitement. I was mad, I had to be. But when one finds out the mythical creatures one had been reading about their entire life exist, there is some form of excitement allowed.

The feeling of drifting through the streets overtook me and I lifted my arms from around Luca, letting them fly freely in the air. The wind whipped my face and I gripped Luca tighter with my legs. My small leather bag, now stained with blood, rested easily inbetween Luca and myself.

Luca quickly jerked the bike, accelerating at an alarming pace which caused me to quickly put my arms around him again. We rode for another twenty minutes, weaving our way through the night.

Finally, Luca slowly pulled up to a tired old park by the edge of town. Harrison River lay just a few miles south of us. It was only ten or so, yet the lack of a moon made the night seem darker. A rusted street lamp lay at the edge of the park, casting an orange glow on everything.

I heaved a sigh of relief and got off the bike, expecting Luca to do the same. Instead, the machine rumbled loudly and Luca began pulling away.

"What the hell?" I yelled loudly. But he couldn't hear me over the roar of the accelerator. Without thinking, I picked up a rock the size of my phone and hurled it. He can't leave me yet. I need to know if this is real. I need to know tonight legitimately happened.

Despite my lack of upper body strength, the rock found its mark. It hit the very back of Luca's bike, jerking it sideways. Immediately, Luca cut the engine. The overpowering roar was cut to dull silence. Faster than light, Luca was in front of me, gripping my neck. He pushed me backward into a nearby tree, crushing my windpipe but not entirely snapping my neck.