Chapter 15: In Deep Waters

Luca's POV:

The lot of us gathered back in the upturned throne room.

I mentally breathed a sigh of relief when I saw Annalina enter, her small strong body unharmed. But some inner part of my growled furiously when I saw Roland enter behind her, his shirt ruffled and spots of blood dotting the button up. If he fed off her....my mind wandered in a direction that had my fists clenching tightly.

"Luca," Caspian spat in my ear, warning me.

I winced at the pain in my hands as my claws unintentionally slid out, digging deep into my palms. I stared at the blood, as my skin automatically healed the small wounds before my eyes.

Shaking it off, I glanced at Alex standing beside Caspian, her back stiff and straight. She was staring directly at my hands, watching the skin knit itself back together with fascination. Her beautiful eyes flicked upward to find me watching her.

She quickly turned away and instead watched King Julian regain order.

Roland marched up to the King and bowed low. Kiss ass.

"Do we know who let them out?" He asked, his voice grating against my ears.

"I do believe whoever let them out was taken care of by the prisoners themselves," Julian informed him. I could see the red forming around Julian's eyes. He'd been drinking today.

"Still, as protectors of Castle Avolire, I will send my best men out to find and end those who dared rise against you," Roland said, his voice authoritative and assertive.

"Jesus," I mumbled to myself. The Mercari are only the protectors because Roland cheated and beat me out of it. The bastard.

Annalina watched him dutifully with curiousity in her eyes. Jealously swirled in my gut. He cannot have her. Roland will not sit on the throne.

"What about Annalina's crown?" Caspian's voice filled the quiet room.

I zoned back into the conversation, ready to die if it meant Annalina would sit in her rightful place. Julian pulled his hair back, his gray eyes finding Annalina's.

"My niece will rule," he said with authority. The whisperings and tension grew quickly even before Julian could finish his sentence. His next words were said resignedly.

"But only under the discretion of the Royal families."

Anger immediately shot to my hands. I heard what my mother had to say about that subject. Her prejudice was getting in the way of what was right. And to think, she had once been friends with Queen Cecilia. Best friends, if my memory served. Caspian knew more about them than I did. I was only two when Cecilia was assassinated.

Still, as Crown Prince of the Acari, Caspian had the final say in whether or not Annalina would sit on the throne. That is, if my mother didn't corrupt him first. She somehow always managed to hook her claws into him.

Speaking of, the devil herself walked forward, her ugly red gown falling loosely around her.

"The oldest regents of the Royal families," she clarified, looking directly at Caspian with her calculating brown eyes.

A muscle in Caspian's jaw tensed, and I had to physically bite my tongue to keep from lashing out against my mother. The bitch I inwardly cursed. She always found a way to worm herself deeper in. Susana Acari always has the final say.

I looked at my father, who's green eyes looked back apologetically. His hair had gone gray since my departure. Mom must be wearing on him.

As the former and still living Crown Prince and Princess of the Acari clan, they would get to decide Annalina's fate. Not Caspian, the actual fucking Prince. But they did have a point. Caspian had been gone with me for awhile, and mom and dad had taken over in his stead. Still, the entire situation was shady and snake-like.