Chapter 13: Blood Red Secrets

Alex's POV:

"Why are we always getting fucking attacked?" Rose screeched as she dashed for the corner of the room, yanking me along with her. My arm strained under her harsh grip. I had been rooted in place then viciously torn away. I didn't even see the first vampire lunge. I was too distracted staring at the red gowned bitch who dared to take Annalina's throne away.

It was a lot to take in all at once. I felt overwhelmed, my mind spiraling in different directions everytime a new twist was revealed and question answered.

"Alex!" Luca's voice pulled me from my thoughts. It was the one of the first times he called me by my actual name, distracting me.

I didn't see the purple haired vampire behind me. I only saw Luca, eyes wide and terrified, watching the horrible incident unfold.

I glanced back to see the girl lick her lips greedily. My breathing hitched, fear coiling deep in my gut. My legs shook, quaking under the stress. Legs. My legs. Run. Run, goddammit. Run!

"Eahhh," I screamed, pushing myself towards Luca.

The purple haired girl snagged the back of my hair, ripping at the delicate curls. I howled in pain, sweeping a leg backward.

On account of her height, my kick hit her directly in the face. She staggered backward, surprised more so than wounded. I didn't stick around to see more, but I heard her intense cry as she faced after me.

"Duck!" Luca shouted at me, throwing a nearby candlestick he picked up from a table. With immense strength he hurled the candle behind me. I fell directly to the ground, my breathing shallow.

A strangled cry erupted behind me and something wet licked my legs.

I didn't look. Run. Run. Run.

I ran into the crowded corner where Rose and Annalina were gathered, Caspian and Roland defending them against the newly released prisoners.

"Sariah's dead!" Someone shouted.

"Run!"

"Run!"

"Hide!"

Shouts sounded from every direction, friend and foe mixing together.

A small door opened to my right, dozens of castle guards in bright rose filing in, their teeth deadly sharp.

"Annalina, in here," Luca commanded, grabbing her roughly and pulling her into the door the guards had just came from.

Roland followed closely behind her, almost nipping at her heels. He led her down a small narrow corridor into darkness. 

"Get in!" Luca shouted at me, ushering me through the door as well.

Caspian followed me, his large frame blocking the entrance completly. It was a miracle the man fit though the door. Breathless, I turned to thank Luca, but he was gone. With a sinking feeling I realized Rose was as well. Oh god Rose.

I hoped they were together. The corridor branched off in four different crossroads. Two staircases on either side led down and two led up.