Satisfaction (2)

Victoria Bates

I approached the car and the officers opened the door but told my father not to move. He seamed like he really didn't want to move anyways. He kept his head down in disappointment. Which made me feel satisfied. 

"Are you proud of yourself?" I said with pure anger in my voice, my filter was gone. "You realize what you've gotten yourself into?"

"Get in the house Tori." He still didn't look up at me. Ashamed, as he should be. I've been ashamed of this man practically my whole life and now he knows how I feel. He was sober now, and he wasn't being as much of an asshole as he was when he was sober. But he is about to go to jail. I just hope wherever he broke into doesn't sue because we won't have the money. I have no where else to go.

"Get to jail Jim, where you belong. All you do is cause trouble everywhere you go lets see how well they handle trouble there." Officer Snider touched my shoulder telling me that was enough. I had a lot I wanted to say but I didn't want to end up in the back of the car with him. Even though these cops annoy me I still respect them.

"Can I speak to you?" He whispered in my ear pulling me back a little, which really pissed  me off. He was taking away my chance to say what I've been wanting to say for years. I took a deep breath to try to calm myself, which didn't work much.

He walked up to my door and I followed him. He was nervous and hesitant to say what he wanted to say. He cleared his throat stalling, and I was only getting more annoyed. This day went to shit pretty fast and I can only tell its gonna get worse.

"Does Jim... uhh, does he hit you?" I had 2 options here. Either lie and get Jim in more trouble- I mean there were close cases where he had raised his hand and he'd threatened me but he never made direct contact-- or just get pissed and go inside my house. 

Jim will get what he deserves in jail, I'm just gonna let it play out for him. If I storm in my house that means I can get away from Matt and have the rest of the day to myself. So that's what I did I made sure to lock my doors- front and back because Matt is that desperate to get in- I turned off my phone off to block contact from the outside world. 

I grabbed my blanket from my room and brought it down stairs to the couch. I turned on the T.V and watched whatever was on for a few hours. After a while I got tired of being cooped up in the house. 

There wasn't a lot here in this town, but we did have a nice beach not too far from my house. Plus it was 6:30, about the time people leave to go home. A walk on the beach sounds calming. 

I put on my bathing suit and a pair of shorts. I tied of my hair which was extremely long, I needed a cut ASAP. I grabbed a towel and my phone and the keys to my mothers car. I don't have a license so technically I'm breaking the law, but if I went the right way I can avoid the annoying nosy neighbors and any cops. It took longer but its better than getting caught. 

I got in the car, and the first thing I see- the same thing I always see when I get into her car-- is an old photo of the 3 of us together. My father was holding me in the air and kissing my cheek, my mom was off to the side a bit smiling at us in awe. 

I remember that my mother and father had gotten in a fight the day before and he wanted to make it up to her by taking us to the park and to a nice dinner. There was a day when my father felt sympathy, love, and knew what kindness was, a day long ago. 

I smiled because that photo gave me some kind of peace. It made me feel close to her, because my father keeps the rest of the stuff locked up. I don't get to see her, that's why I love driving.