Chapter 11 | finding a way

C H A P T E R 11
E D I T E D
1155 WORDS

an; hank you guys so much for 5k! <3 love u guys sm

    "So, how'd you guys escape?" Eddie asked, twiddling with a stick.

    We all sat together in a circle in the middle of a very grassy meadow. It was quiet and calm here. No conflicts or scary clowns to distract us. Just the sound of crickets and the nearby lake water.

   "--I mean, the clown, did you see it?" Eddie asked continued.

  "Yeah." Stanley said.

   Mike chuckled to himself, "and we actually got away. By ourselves."

  "And Ben, what happened to him?" I asked. Ben's head slowly lifted up to reveal heavy eyes. They were red while the skin around was tinted a dark purple. He seemed to have gotten more discolored since he had woken up.

  "The clown did somethin' to him." Mike said, "opened his harsh mouth, teeth stickin' out everywhere. He flashed a light and... he was out." He looked at Ben.

  "You said y-you got away, f-from the clown?" Bill asked.

   Mike shrugged, "I mean, he vanished. We did give him a good fight, I guess."

"Did he d-d-die?"

"Definitely not." Stanley cut in.

  "What makes you say that?" I asked.

"It said that we'd regret it...that he'd come back if we 'killed him'" Stanley said.

   "So why the fuck did you kill him?" Richie asked. We all gave him a dirty glare which made him shut up pretty quickly.

   "Well, what matters is that we're all together." Beverly said with a smile, her orange hair swimming under the sun.

  "Yeah, there may be other children still missing... but we're all together." Thomas said, half sarcastically have not.

   "Other children?" Stanley questioned.

"Yeah, didn't you guys see the posters on our way here?" Thomas said, "It was for a little girl."

  "Polly Evans." Ben said sternly, no emotions within voice. I noticed something was off about him, and I was sure that others saw the same.

  "Polly Evans?" I asked. Ben nodded.

  "How did you know that? You were half dead on the way here, you weren't paying any attention to the street signs." Richie asked. All of our eyes traveled to Ben. Now, his eyes were completely stained red. His cheeks a bright pink while purple splotches traveled across what were his freckles.

   "Hey, Ben, you don't look too good." I said. He slowly got up, mumbling a few words in the process,

   "I have to go." He said, wobbling off into the dense forest

   "Should we follow him?" Thomas asked, breaking the silence. No one responded.

-

   The sun was just setting and everyone had already left. It was just Stanley and I.

  "What was it like?" I asked, our feet dragging on the same road we stumbled upon only a few days ago.

  "What was what like?" He replied, his cold hands within his khakis.

  "Wherever you went." I said. He sighed, his eyebrows peering in.

   "It was scary. Lonely, to say the least." He said frowning.

   "The clown, what did he look like? Or... was he the same?" I asked, looking up at him.

"He was bigger, scarier." He replied.

   His responses were bland and his smile was hardly real.

  "You're okay, right? Because Ben didn't look that good, and you..." I paused.

   He began, "Something's wrong with Ben, for sure. He didn't seem himself. Usually he's tough with that stuff but this time he seemed different." Stan added.

   "But you, Stanley. Are you alright?" I asked him again. He just nodded.

   The bright moon shined against our pale skin. The tall trees waved within the clouds, mixing up recipes for a good night's sleep. I was tired, so tired.

    Suddenly, within the silence of the seven o'clock night, there was a sudden stutter of metal.

   Both of our heads snapped as we moved closer to one another out of fear.

  "What was that?" Stan whispered under his breath.

   "I don't know." I replied.

   Another rattle was heard.

"Maybe it's just the wind?" I suggested.

   A small giggle was heard from the closest sewer. Both of our eyes instantly blew up. We knew what it was, who it was. However we couldn't seem to move, not even run. We were both completely frozen.

  "Stanley," I said in a whisper.

  "We need to get out of here." He said. He took my hand as we began to race out of the area. We were running around the neighborhood like a bunch of headless chickens. My heartbeat was in my throat and my feet were practically flying off the ground.

   We eventually halted to stop after feeling as though we were safe. We were both out of breath and rightfully freaked out.

  "Are you okay?" Stanley asked.

  "Yeah. What was that?" I asked.

"I dont know." he shook.

  I prayed that our imagination had just ran wild and that we were just an overdramatic pair of kids, but a small rattle of metal in Derry was taken differently than a sound anywhere else. The people of this town were deemed crazy, and I finally knew why.

   "Oh, sorry." He said, removing his hand from mine awkwardly.

   "Oh, no biggie."

   "Awe, you two." A dark, scary voice said through the dark. Both of our heads flew towards the voice, and we saw what we were expecting.

   Tall and muscular with death within his eyes. His mouth was covered in blood, his teeth shining all the way to the tip of his cheeks.

   "You guys are honestly adorable." The clown said sarcastically. Both Stanley and I were at loss for words. He was standing only a few feet away from us, his fingers moving from side to side maliciously.

  "Y-You need to run." Stanley whispered in my ear.

  I shook my head, "Only if you run with me."

   "He'll get us both that way. You need to get home. Alive." He said, his voice cracking.

  "You too." I said.

   We just stood there, glued together. I felt Stanley try and push me slightly to get me to run, to leave. But I wouldn't do that. I couldn't.

  The clown didn't budge, but he wasn't smiling anymore. Instead he was frowning.

  "Leave." It roared, "you two are worthless."

  Stanley and I looked at one another with surprised eyes. However we weren't going to fall for any tricks.

  "Leave. I won't hurt you." The clown said, sounding sad, "I'll find a way to get to you guys. I'll find a way. I'll find a way." The clown repeated as he slithered towards the closest sewer drain, "I'll find a way, find a way. I'll find a way, find a way. We always find a way." He repeated before disintegrating into the drain.

   "Find a way?" Stanley whispered.

"We always find a way?" I added.

   Stanley looked at me, fear rolling in his eyes, "We need to find Ben."