Chapter 9: Christmas Eve (Part 2)

Author's note: Cassidy's POV on the loose.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Paul turned towards my direction as he heard my scream. His eyes held a tint of red as if he had been crying.

I ran full force into him and wrapped my arms around his waist. The gun went sliding across the floor as we crashed to the ground. I buried my head into his shoulder to keep him pinned down. I started sobbing, my tears soaking into his blue jacket.

"Cassidy! But…how…how did you…" Paul began.

I pulled my head out of his shoulder to see the shocked look across his face. I could smell alcohol on his breath, but yet I knew he wasn't too drunk.

"Dammit, Paul! Don't you ever leave me!" I screamed at him.

"I…I just wanted you to be happy and not to worry about me. Go back to the ball and dance with James." He turned his head to the side to try to avoid my enraged eyes.

I planted my hands on the sides of his face and forced him to look at me. I wouldn't let him win.

"How could I be happier without you?" I took a deep breath, trying to control my anger and tears.

After a few moments, I figured that Paul wasn't going to answer me so I continued.

"And why should I go back to the dance with James?"

"Because you love him." Paul said quietly and attempted to avoid my eyes again.

"No, I don't. He's a good friend, but I don't love him." I told Paul and he stared at me in confusion.

"What? But…I thought…" He said extremely confused.

"I know what you thought. I read the note you were going to leave me today. I thought it was a love letter, but then at the ball I started putting pieces together.

That's when I realized you were going to kill yourself and I couldn't live with the thought of you being gone forever.

I couldn't live with the thought of you dying because of me. Especially when, well, you don't have to live without me." I blushed slightly.

"Cassidy…" Paul started to speak, but I continued on.

"The reason you won't ever have to live without me is because I love you. Not James; I love you, Paul. Only you. I haven't stopped loving you since the day we first met as kids or when we were divorced. And, I don't want to live without you anymore. I can't stand it." More tears traveled down my cheeks.

"Oh Cassidy, I couldn't have been more wrong. I jumped to so many conclusions that almost destroyed my life. I know I've never been good at telling you how I feel, but it's easier to just lock everything up inside sometimes." His eyes were filled with sadness.

"But I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'll be willing to do anything to stay with you this time. I don't care about what the other countries think. I will make us work no matter what." A determined look crossed his face.

"And I love you too." He told me.

A smile spread across his face and I couldn't take it any longer. I leaned in and pressed my lips against his.

I felt a smile widen on his lips as he kissed me back. His lips held back at first, but soon the kiss became more passionate. He sat up and I buried my hands in his hair while he held me tightly by the waist.

We finally broke apart gasping for air. Paul was now pinning me to the ground. I smiled up at him and I noticed his black eyes were now filled with sincere happiness.