Chapter 5: Hunting Trip II

Author's note: Chapter's in Paul's POV.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My finger tips flew along the piano keys. For weeks I had been trying to write Cassidy the perfect song. My mind was completely overshadowed with memories of her.

The pocket watch she had given me was perched on top of my piano. The picture of her smiling face on the inside of it made me feel happy.

The wizard hat that was part of the costume she had made for me also made me happy, and, was in fact, placed next to the pocket watch.

Even the mere half a second, my lips grazing hers had melted my heart. I loved her so much that sometimes it hurt. But yet, the kiss filled me with mystery.

Would she have kissed me back if Faizan hadn't interrupted? She had seemed completely paralyzed as I had leaned in towards her. Maybe she wouldn't have. I pushed that thought away.

"Hey Paul, did you forget or something? The awesome me is taking you hunting today." A voice called, stopping my piano playing.

I shifted my position on the piano bench and looked over at the window. The one and only James was smiling me while he hoisted himself up onto the windowsill.

When he had gained his balance on the sill, the guy swung his legs around and slipped inside of the room. A small yellow bird followed him through the window and perched upon his shoulder.

"I have a front door, you know." I said plainly, blinking at my surprise guest.

James smirked and brushed himself off. A gun was slung around his shoulder opposite his yellow bird. I sighed and played a few more notes on my piano before getting up from the bench.

"Well? Are you coming? You did get that envelope I gave you for your birthday right?" James asked.

"Yes, I did and I suppose it wouldn't hurt to brush up my hunting skills." I replied.

I walked over to my glass weapon storage case with James trailing behind me. I knelt down and fiddled with the lock. When the lock opened, I stood up and examined the organized weapon choices inside of the case.

James rested his elbow on top of my shoulder as if I were some sort of resting post. I frowned and tried to brush him off. He just laughed and refused to remove his arm as I picked out a large gun.

As I tossed the gun over my shoulder, James quickly backed away. I continued to grab a wooden bow and a quiver of arrows.

"Hm, another archer I see? I hope you're better than Cassidy." James remarked.

I smiled for a split second, but it melted away when I realized what I was doing. I loved archery and considered myself pretty good at it. At the same time I had used more than my fair share of guns. I started walking towards the piano room door with my selected weapons when James grabbed my arm.

"You're no fun, you know? The window is obviously closer to the woods than the front door." James protested.

"Hm, I'm getting the feeling you don't like doors very much." I said skeptically.

James just shrugged and let go of my arm. He walked over to the window and sat on the sill.

"Well jumping out of windows obviously makes me awesome. So I guess I'll see you in the woods in a few hours." James chuckled and leaped off the window ledge.

I rolled my eyes. As much as James got on my nerves, there were times when we never failed to stay friends. Of course we fought most of the time, but he was inevitably part of our trio. A third musketeer cannot simply be ignored.